twenty nine| it's hot in here

°

°

The cold table pricked the backs of her bare thighs, her jean skirt only going down to about mid length.

The room consisted of the entire party. They were, per usual, at the twins house sitting in the basement. Everyone else sat in the ratty couches or various foldable chairs, while Clara and Will
sat on the table.

The two were, officially, dating. The night before, Lucas and Mike had apologized to Will and then went back to Mike's, while the couple opted to stay back at Will's. Of course, Joyce insisted on the door staying open a bit and that they come and eat dinner all together. Otherwise, it was an amazing night.

"I didn't think it was anything at first- I mean I think I didn't want to believe it was," Will spoke aloud, his hand clamped in Clara's.

She wore her favorite jean skirt, a black knitted shirt tucked into it. The summer months were warm, as Indiana always had hot summers and cold winters.

"I first felt it at Day of The Dead," Will began, "and then I felt it at the field, at the Nelson farm the next day. Then again, yesterday, outside Castle Byers."

She would've questioned why he didn't tell her, why he felt as if this were something he could deal with himself. She set it aside.

"What does it feel like?" Max questioned curiously.

"It's like.. you know when your on a rollercoaster? And it drops?"

"Sure," Max responded.

"Yeah," Mike nodded.

"Mhm," Clara hummed.

"No."

Clara looked at El, muffling a snort of laughter.

"It feels like everything in your body is just sinking all at once but.. this is worse," Will described, staring distantly ahead.

Clara rubbed her thumb over his knuckles, shifting to cross her ankles.

"I've felt this before," Will nodded, staring up at the party. "When he was close."

"I closed the gate," El furrowed her eyebrows. Clara was equally confused.

"I know.. but what if he never left? What if we locked him in here with us?"

Will quickly shifted, gently letting go of the girls hand and grabbing a piece of black chalk and some paper.

He began scribbling a messy version of the shadow monster, swiping his palm over it. "That day on the field, the shadow monster attached apart of himself to me. My mom got it out, and Eleven closed the gate."