Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Paige sat at the table in the kitchen, picking at her fries. Her hair was perfect, as was her make-up even though she spent the whole day crying. Chloe and Maddie and lied to her and snuck behind her back. Paige would expect that out of Maddie but not from Chlo. Chloe? No, she wouldn’t ever do that! Would she?

Paige listened as Josh flirted with Chloe and Mikey with Maddie. Daniel sat in his seat awkwardly eating French fries and his cheeseburger and beans. Paige felt something hit her foot and looked down to see what it was. On the other end, it was Daniel’s foot.

“Oh I’m sorry,” Daniel said, swinging his leg back towards him. “I didn’t mean to.”

“It’s fine,” Paige said flatly, trying not to draw attention towards her.

Usually, Brooke would always draw attention to herself when everyone was over, but Kelly was gone, dropping her and Claudia off at the county fair to meet up with Ross and Zach from school. Paige stirred her beans with her fork and took a few bites of her cheeseburger, as instructed from her father, who happened to be passing through the kitchen to get chemicals to clean the pool with. Paige kicked Daniel’s foot lightly, watching him smile and agree with something Josh said.

“Can we go talk?” Daniel asked quietly, leaning over the table.

Paige smiled and nodded, her curls bouncing. She set her burger down and wiped her mouth after taking another sip of her water. She walked off, out of the kitchen and through the living room to the front staircase. She sat on the fourth one up, feeling the breeze from the open window steam in.

“What’s up?” Paige asked.

She clasped her hands together and rested her elbows on her knees. She watched at the brown haired boy sat down next to her. He looked lost in his thoughts, and as Daniel opened his mouth, Paige saw Chloe and Josh get up from the table and walk back outside. She blinked and looked back at Daniel.

“I need some advice…” He said. “I really like this girl, but I don’t know if she likes me back. And she’s younger than me, so I don’t know if that would be a problem or not.”

“Don’t worry, Daniel. I’m sure this girl feels the same way.” Paige said, sure that the girl Daniel was talking about was herself. He was a year older than Paige, but still in the same grade. He and Josh met on the hockey team they both played on and had been best friends every since.

“Thanks Paige, you’re the greatest.” Daniel said, standing up. He walked into the kitchen and asked to talk to Maddie for a moment.

“What?” Paige asked, mostly to herself as she watched the two of them walked through the living room and out the front door to the porch.

Paige looked down and then looked at Mikey who sat alone in the kitchen. Paige sighed, standing up and made her way into the kitchen. At first, nobody was saying anything. Mikey was Paige’s first boyfriend from back in the sixth grade. But it had been two years since then, and things were still kinda awkward. Paige cleaned up some things. Not sure if everyone was done with their meals, but they hadn’t came back yet, so she assumed they were.

“So…” Mikey said. “How have you been? I haven’t talked to you a while…”

Paige shrugged, knowing Mikey couldn’t see her. “I don’t know,” She said, her voice cracking. “I’ve been alright. How have you been?”

“I’ve been okay…” Mikey nodded, from what Paige could tell. “A little upset that Daniel came and took Maddie away when we were having a good conversation.”

“Oh,” Paige said, scraping leftover food off of the orange plate she was holding, dumping it all into the trash. “Are you interested in Maddie?”

Mikey turned and looked at Paige, “I guess. I mean, she’s only in sixth grade, so I don’t know…”

Paige smirked. “Daniel likes her too. I don’t know if he knows that she’s so little…”

Mikey smirked and shrugged at the same time. “Do you like Dan?”

“I guess, I don’t know…” Paige said. “I think I do, but not the way I liked you…”

Mikey went from staring at Buddy, the family dog who was lying on the floor and staring back at Mikey, to straight at Paige. He watched as she placed a blue plate in the sink and picked up a green plate and began to scrape food off. Paige looked up and her eyes met with his. The room became silent, and the world seemed to stop. Then, the back door flew open and Josh and Chloe laughed as they walked in. Paige blinked away, feeling her face burn. Mikey looked back to his can of Dr. Pepper and took another sip.

“Where’s Maddie?” Chloe asked as she sat back down in her spot at the table.

“Talking to Daniel out on the front porch…” Paige said, glancing over to Mikey.

Mikey cringed at the name Daniel. Daniel was too old for Maddie anyways. Maddie was in the sixth grade for crying out loud. But, that was when Mikey and Paige “dated” if you could even call it that. They went on one date to a football game. The night ended with Paige crying in the bathroom as Brooke cut a wad of gum out of her hair. Paige watched as Josh sat back down in his spot and took Chloe’s hand in his.

Paige rolled her eyes and then heard Maddie’s voice from the front of the house. Maddie proudly marched into the kitchen, climbed into Mikey’s lap, and then kissed him. Right then and there in front of everyone. Chloe’s eyes grew and she pulled her hand away from Josh’s. Daniel ran after Maddie and into the kitchen.

“Kiss me and tell me you love me.” Maddie whispered, loud enough for only Mikey and Paige to hear.

Paige looked at Chloe who was laughing, Josh sat next to her laughing so hard he was in tears. Paige put the last plate in the sink and walked off. She walked through the dining room and into the foyer and out the open door. Kelly got out of her car and saw Paige who was nearly in tears. She was barely visible in the dim light, but her bright hair made her a tad bit easier to see.

“Paige, darling, what’s wrong?” Kelly asked as Paige brushed by her.

“Maddie, that’s what.”