91: a winter coziness

WARMING UP DURING THE midst of winter is a struggle Camila has often faced when preparing for the stage. She blows on her fingers to heat them as she tries to animate her hands before she remembers the hand warmers Laurent slipped in her pocket before they said goodbye at the airport. The feeling of the heat satchel brings a smile to her face before she sighs and continues rehearsal.

ChamberFest is only a few days away and Camila feels everything but prepared—while her playing is flawless, her emotions can't seem to find harmony with each other. Of course, she ponders about the implications her last words to Laurent were on the phone.

If anything, hearing from him now would only make her nervous and disrupt her newfound footing with him. After all this time, she guesses she's never gotten used to the character he is. A knock on the door startles her and the scale she was in the middle of trails off abruptly.

"You almost finished?"

It's Jeremy, who has somehow gotten into the music hall is at the door of her music room holding a bag of takeout.

"That's illegal." Camila points to the NO FOOD OR DRINK sign right next to the door. However, she takes it as a signal to wrap up her practice for today and starts packing her bag. "What'd you get?"

"Soup dumplings. Perfect for when it snows," Jeremy says. "You feeling ready?"

"Yea, I guess. I think the nerves will get to me in about two days."

"Don't worry."

"Thanks." Camila rolls her eyes.

"I saw that. And to think I trekked all the way here, begged some poor student to let me into the building, just to deliver some delicious dinner for my princess because I worry she isn't taking care of herself. Great welcome."

Camila punches his winter-coat-padded-arm and a dusting of snow from his shoulder lands on the floor.

"Then coffee is on me okay," she says. "Dessert if you want too."

"God bless generosity."

They begin their slow walk back to his apartment, huddled together to preserve warmth and to keep the dumplings fresh. Camila suddenly thinks that winter has a beautiful, romantic mood, even if she hates the slush and the cold. The nights are longer but somehow, the street lamps bring a glow to the city as a secondary sunlight. It's Jeremy's turn to hold their takeout and her turn to warm her hands with the drinks, so they pause on the sidewalk and exchange.

"Hey." She pokes Jeremy.

"Watch it. I'm protecting the dumplings."

"Thank you. Okay?"

Jeremy almost loses his footing in the snow. "You know, the holidays are over."

"I know," Camila says. She smiles to herself under her fur-trimmed hood. There is still warmth to be found even when the degree is in the negative.