Chapter 20~ Mates

CHAPTER 20 ~ MATES 

"God, I'm starving," I complained. 

"Just a little longer, then the meat will be ready," Alexis said. "And how can you still be starving? You already ate three parrots." 

"As a panther," I replied. "As a human, I'm still hungry. And then comes the nymph part, but that one is easily statisfied with some water." 

She rolled her eyes and continued turning the meat over the fire she created. On my other side Shasta and Zeb were playing tic-tac-toe in the sand. I turned around and watched their game from over Shasta's shoulder. 

"There," I said, pointing. 

Shasta laughed, painted his circle on the spot I showed him and painted a stripe over his three circles. 

"I win," he announced. "Thank you, Namir." 

He turned his head and kissed me gently. Zeb looked at us curiously. I broke the kiss and when Shasta asked why, I pointed at Zeb. 

"What is it, Zeb?" I asked. 

He shook his head."I'll tell you later." 

I continued staring at him. Ever since Shasta and I had climbed aboard again and we had headed toward La Isla del Coco, Zeb was thinking. A lot. He hadn't talked much and when we went hunting for food he had been very quiet, chewing on a bite of grass.  

"Meat's ready," Alexis announced, breaking the silence. "Come and get it." 

All three of us sat down next to her. She handed out our portions. I noticed her portion was bigger then the other. She saw me looking and grinned evily. I shrugged and let it go. I leaned against Shasta and nibbled on my parrot wing. I finished my wing and felt thirsty. 

I raised my hand and four balls of water came flying. They hovered in the air in front of me and with a whisk the salt disappeared from it. Then three of them flew away and each went to another person.They saw the balls and looked at me in confusion. 

"How are we supposed to drink this?" Alexis asked. 

I opened my mouth and a small part of my ball broke off and drifted into it. I swallowed the coll, refreshing water and then watched he others drink. After that, everyone look statisfied. 

"Namir, I'm going to keep my promise," Zeb started. "I'll tell you what I've been thinking about. You see, some animal species are monogamous. They only mate with one other. Good examples are wolves and bald eagles. Humans are very rarely monogamous, but once you have been injected with animal DNA, that changes. After you have been injected you are beautiful to all, but only attracted to one, your mate. The problem is that you don't realize who your mate is. You can already love him or her or it can be someone you have never known. Deep inside, you already know who it is and there you already have feelings for him or her, but it can't find a way out. Not until you kiss with your mate. That is the reason why mates are very rare to find each other and you two are lucky that you did." 

Both Shasta and I were quiet. We were mates... But... how... I looked at him for help and he was looking at me for help. A smile showed on my face and I hugged him. 

"Zeb, what do you do with a mate exactly?" Shasta asked. 

"Well, besides making kids? You will always be together and never love anyone else, even if the most beautiful person in the world loved you. When you're away from each other, you feel like there is a part of you missing and you'll be willing to do or pay anything to see him or her for just a minute..." he trailed of and I could see that he knew all this from a firsthand experience.