💀 C𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 3: S𝔬𝔲𝔩𝔪𝔞𝔱𝔢𝔰? 💀

Art by tehnyo on danbooru

"Soulmates?" You repeated the words, not sure if it was a question or not. The stone beneath your hand was warm and smooth, and the bigger part of you didn't want to take your hand off of it. Calliope didn't mind, or she didn't notice, and instead just kept staring, waiting for your response.

You didn't know how to respond. Not only had you just learnt that you had a soulmate, which was rare enough in this time, but your soulmate was apparently death herself? How would your parents react? How would Alabaster react?

You could feel your panic rising, and the reaper standing over you didn't help that at all. Calliope inwardly winced as she felt your heartbeat suddenly speed up. Well, that and she was worried she'd gotten something wrong or mixed up and you would reject her presence. She thought about giving you a hug or reassuring words, but felt that would be weird since you barely knew her. It probably wouldn't help since Calliope also assumed that she was part of the reason you were panicking.

So instead she stood there. Calliope stood there and waited. Even through all your panicking, your hand remained firmly on the gem on her collarbone. For some reason, the warmth it produced provided you some semblance of comfort.

You began stuttering over your words, trying to figure out what you would say next. Calliope's expression didn't change and remained blank with a hint of concern.

"Uhm- Well... I'm not sure what to say..." You started nervously. Calliope tilted her head, looking like a confused puppy. Part of your heart melted at this. It was at this moment you realised your hand was still placed on the reaper's stone. With an embarrassed squeak, you pulled your hand away. It may have been your imagination, but you could've sworn that Calliope looked a little disappointed at the loss of contact.

"I can't deny I feel something, but I don't want to start straight away" You mumbled. Calliope looked even more confused.

"Dating, I meant dating..." You sighed, wringing your hands together awkwardly. You found it extremely hard to even look the reaper in the eyes. Calliope on the other hand, felt a little bit of hope. She didn't really care about dating straight away, she just didn't want to be outwardly rejected.

You felt a wave of relief when you saw Calliope nodding her head slowly in agreement. She turned around quickly, sending her cloak fluttering around her ankles, and started pacing, thinking.

You took a seat and simply watched her, not having much else to do. While doing this, you too started thinking. Thinking about how this could work, because you couldn't deny the little tugging from your soul- wait... as death, did she even have a soul? Maybe she had something like a soul, but it wasn't the exact same? You stopped that train of thought before you got a headache.

"We could... just try and become friends and get to know each other? I mean, it couldn't hurt, right?" You weren't too confident, but this response caused Calliope to pause. She turned to look at you with a thoughtful look.

"I would be willing to do that, if you are" She said. You had to admit, her voice did make you feel slightly flustered. You nodded with a slightly red face, though it felt like it was burning to you. Seeing this, Calliope felt slightly giddy at the fact she made you blush.

She looked around a bit before taking the chair from your desk and setting it down close to yours. After a few moments of trying to get comfortable with her cloak on, Calliope turned to you with an awkward smile.

"Uhh... Not to be rude, but what are you doing?" You said, trying your hardest to sound polite. She didn't seem to care and leaned forward somewhat.