Broken

Year 850 

After the mission to plug up the wall, all soldiers were required to take part in cleaning up the place such as collecting bodies, naming them, count the dead, and count the missing. 

"Ugh! That smell is just...Nasty!" Sasha says under her mask. 

"Tell me about it, I have never smelled something so...Putrid..." I say nearly choking on my words. 

Sasha and I collected bodies and threw them onto a rolling platform. 

"Do you recognize anyone?" I ask Sasha. 

"No, but I think I lost my appetite for today..." I widen my eyes. 

"Wow, so it's really that bad huh?" We turn the corner. 

"Now what in the hell...Is that?!" We both come to a stop. 

On the side of a house was a pile of bodies all squished together and held down with a slimy substance. 

"Is that titan puke?" Sasha says. 

"Well, titans don't really have intestinal tracks, so how else are they supposed to get it all out..." I say as a Garrison went to go pick one up. 

"Holy shit...How are we supposed to identify anyone like this?" Sasha states as the Garrison picks up a body with no flesh. 

----------------------------------- 

As the night fell we had to burn the bodies of our comrades. 

"Toss me another one..." I say holding my arms out. 

"All of our training...Endurance runs, horseback riding, unarmed combat, lectures about strategy, technical skills, verticle maneuvering... We all worked so hard... We did so much...Was it all for nothing?" Connie says holding his head. 

As I finish the bodies that I had left I slip off my gloved and head towards Sasha, Connie, Annie, Reiner, and Bertholdt. 

"Of course it wasn't all for nothing...Those people didn't die in vain, they fought with us." I say as everyone looks into the fire. 

*CHFF CHFF* 

We all shift our attention to the sound of dragging feet. 

"Hey, guys...Have you decided what branch of the military you are going to apply to?" Jean looks up to us shaking in his shoes. 

"I've decided," Reiner says looking confused. 

"I-I'm doing to join the Survey Corps..." Jean says clenching his fists and looking down. 

-----------------------------------  

We all made our way to the Mess Hall. 

"I don't think I can eat after what I just saw..." Connie says grabbing his stomach. 

I pushed open the heavy doors to look into a half-empty room. 

"Holy shit..." I say making my way through the tables. 

As I sat down with Sasha, Connie, Reiner, Annie, and Bertholdt, Jean surprisingly sat right next to me letting his hang low. 

"Hey, what's wrong with you?" I say poking Jean in the arm. 

He just sat there looking down in his hand. 

"Jea-" He quickly turns to me. 

His eyes were red as tears left his eyes. My eyes widen at his expression, I went to go wipe away his tears as he grabbed my arm and pulled me into his chest instead.