The Haze (Chapter 19)

Chapter Nineteen

I woke up with my arm asleep. Olivia had rolled towards me in the night and my arm was under her. I couldn't explain why I had such strong feelings for her so suddenly, but I was glad I had taken the time to question my assignment. I knew she was going to change my life. Olivia was still breathing steadily so I stayed still. I had almost drifted back off to sleep when two quick knocks hit the door. Olivia jumped at the sound. She reached up and ran her fingers through her hair and stretched. Her hair tickled my nose. She realized how close we were and bolted up quickly. She mumbled an apology and started straightening her hair. I chuckled and stretched.

               "Who's at the door?"

               "No one, that's just the call for breakfast. Today is...Tuesday so Ron is on breakfast duty so we'll be having pancakes."

She said all this with a little clap at the end.

"Pancakes huh? I could eat some pancakes."

She pulled some jeans on and gave a little hop before buttoning her pants.

"I'll let you get dressed." She said looking at her feet. "I'll get you a plat and I'll see if Aiden is awake. Just come find me."

I finished dressing and made my way out into the Zone. The whole group was out and about eating breakfast together. Olivia was sitting far off by the door with Aiden by her side. He was talking animatedly using his hands and he had a big grin plastered on his face. When I sat down across from them, I noticed he had two empty plates in front of him and was working on a third.

               "Hey man, how'd you sleep?"

Olivia slid a plat of pancakes across to me; they were still hot and she passed me a jar of some kind of syrup. I spooned some syrup onto my pancakes and listened to Aiden recount his night.

               "I haven't felt this good in so long I can't even remember! I feel like I could run the one-hundred-meter dash and break that jerk Tommy's record! Mr. Jeramiah came and checked on me a couple times. I didn't like the needle in my arm, but he promised I was safe." He got quiet for a moment and looked away.

"I am safe now...right?"

Olivia reacted before I could and wrapped an arm around his frail shoulders. "Of course. Of course, you are."

I took a bite of pancake and my eyes went wide at the taste.

"What is this? Did Lorrie make this too?"

"No, that one" She smiled and pointed at the jar "would be mine."

I hurriedly took another bite and savored the sweetness.

"What is this?"

"Dandelion syrup." She beamed and quietly added. "They were Mason's favorite."

Aiden was still talking wildly and I dropped my fork when I heard him say:

               "Yeah, and I told Mr. Jeramiah all about the Nest and how he's so much nicer than those people."

Olivia's eyes got wide and I excused myself to go to Jeramiah and see what he would do about Aiden and if we were going to have a problem. I weaved through the crowd, many distrusting eyes lingered on me, but not for long. I spotted him heading into a room I hadn't been in before and I rushed forward. He was scribbling notes excitedly and barely looked up when I entered.

               "Quinn!" He jumped when he noticed I had entered the room. "This is incredible!"

He pulled a monitor around where I could see an animation on the screen.