Diaries and Duels

Beginne am Anfang

Caspian laughed. "Oh I see... Right this way, then."

He led her to the small chart room and began to rifle through the cabinets and drawers.

"Your sword, My Lady," he said, presenting it to her with a smile.

Margaret gladly accepted it.

Then, Caspian hesitated. "I also brought this..."

He presented a small box to her and opened the lid. Inside, her red cloak sat, neatly folded.

"I wasn't certain how you would feel about it..." he said, trailing off.

Margaret smiled softly. "Don't worry, I'm not upset. I am the Red Lady, after all. Thank you, Caspian... Although I might elect to leave it behind if we are in need of stealth."

Caspian chuckled and closed the box, replacing it in the cabinet.

"Of course," he said. "Now, shall we--"

Just then, a great commotion could be heard from on deck. The two of them shared a glance, then rushed out of the room. They arrived just in time to see Reepicheep push Eustace, who was, for some reason, holding a sword, into a basket which tumbled over.

"Look!" said Lucy.

The young girl from Doorn, Rhince's daughter, had been hiding in the basket which had tipped, spilling her out.

"Gael? What are you doing here?"

The poor man looked shocked at his daughter's presence, but more worried than anything else. He quickly pulled her close, holding her protectively as the captain approached. He seemed nervous.

Drinian simply smiled.

"Looks like we have an extra crew member," he said. He held an orange out to the girl, and she gingerly took it.

"Welcome aboard," said Lucy, stepping forward.

"Your Majesty!" the girl said in awe, curtsying.

"Call me Lucy," she said. "Come on..."

Lucy put her arm around the girl and led her towards the cabin. Margaret stopped them as they passed.

"She can take my side of the bed," the Queen offered. "I'll sleep on the floor."

The girl's eyes widened. "But My Lady..."

Margaret offered her a warm smile. "Never you worry, my dear. I'll be just fine."

"We have ample room in the crew's quarters," Caspian offered suddenly, though he immediately looked as though he had spoken without thinking, judging by the pink flush of his cheeks. "That is to say, I could arrange for a private section for you, if you wish," he said.

Margaret offered him a grateful smile in return. "Thank you, Caspian. That's very kind of you."

Lucy nodded and took Gael into the cabin to get her settled.

Margaret suddenly grinned. "Now, Drinian, don't set the men back to work just yet. There's to be another duel."

The nearby crew instantly became intrigued.

"Is there, now?" said the captain, looking amused.

"Yes indeed," Caspian said, producing Peter's sword, Rhindon. "Between the Queen and myself."

"Aye, sir..." Drinian said. Then, he raised his voice, calling to the whole crew, "Clear the deck! The King and Queen are preparing to duel!"

The crew scrambled back, quite a fair bit further than they had for Eustace and Reepicheep's duel.