42| Flames

I stood beside Sanjay as we watched Tara burn into flames.

Other than Sanjay she was the closest cousin I had, she was my sister. I used to wander around the house carrying her when she was a baby. She was our pattaakha.

"I'll bring those bastards out, Tara," I promised myself. Those people are not going to live in peace after touching my family.

I will kill him if I have to.

"The baby?"

I looked at Sanjay. Dressed in the white shirt, he was lifeless. I feel, worse than me. She had fallen right in front of him, Aadhya was lying in blood in front of him.

"The baby boy?" Sanjay explained his question.

"NICU. Won't be out anytime soon." I turned my head back to the flames.

"And ---the girl."

I looked down, keeping my hands in the pocket. "Burial in Dad's plot. I'll go to the hospital to pick her."

I felt my throat burning and I closed my eyes tight. No more tears.

"Can I come too?" I nodded without looking at him.

>>>>>

I opened the door of Aadhya's room. Her mother, sister-in-law and grandmother, looked at me hearing the door.

"Is it over?" Aunty asked referring to the funeral. I nodded walking to Aadhya. "I'm sorry I couldn't be there. I had to be here."

I shook my head. "It's okay, aunty. There's no problem. You should be here." I watched Aadhya. She still held our baby in her arm.

"Aadhya," I called her. She raised her head and smiled, her eyes filled.

"Yes. Yes. I know. But I don't think I can give her." She softly said.

"I can't either. But we have to." I sighed taking the baby from her.

Aadhya cried caressing Tara's hair. She kissed her cheeks, face, hands, legs and her stomach.

"I love you. And I'll miss you." She kissed her forehead for the last time, her eyes swollen. "Take her please, before I stop you."

I turned around, walking. My eyes felt heavy and my throat felt tight. The sudden realisation hit me, I was going to bury my daughter.

>>>>

I handed her to Sanjay. Draped in white she was ready. I kissed on the white cloth, for the last time before stepping back.

Sanjay placed her on the coffin and Dad shut it. I clutched my hands to control myself to not let the tears out. But I couldn't.

I cried.

I cried.

I was back home to see my pregnant wife and then to be with her when she gives me the best gift, I possibly could ever ask for.

And not to carry my daughter to her grave.

Not to carry her to her grave.

Dad held his hand around me and I felt like the years reversed, while I cried hugging him.

"This shall pass." He said patting my back.

>>>

I spent hours inside the car alone before going to Aadhya. She needed me the most and I couldn't fail more as a husband.

Aadhya was asleep when I saw her. Her lips and cheeks had lost their natural colour, she was different, even though she was the same.

I remembered the time I used to mock her through our late-night calls about her weight. She hadn't put massive weight yet she was chubby, and I liked the pregnant chubby Aadhya more.