4 ➤ Broken Heart

Warning: Partial Sexual Content

ELEANOR WRENCHED OUT of Walter's embrace and wrapped her arms around herself. Her eyes burned from all the crying. She held a hand against her trembling lips. When Walter tried to inch closer, she pressed her hand against his bare chest, stopping him in his tracks.

"Eleanor—"

"Don't. I don't need your pity or anyone's." She took a step back and glanced toward the front door. "At least now everything makes sense."

No one said anything. Grieg stood behind Adeline looking as stunned as Eleanor did. Perhaps, her sister didn't tell him anything. Eleanor understood now why her father had kept the secret. Everyone would look at her with disgust. She was the result of a betrayal. Marriage was sacred for them.  Her mother had broken the oath she took...and had a child.

Eleanor shook her head as tears streamed down her cheeks. "Who is he?"

"Who?"

"My father."

"Father never told me...maybe he has no idea."

"He knows. He told me he hasn't told Walter everything." She glanced at Walter, then back at her sister. "He said everyone would hate me when the truth came out. I'm guessing my father is not loved amongst pack wolves."

"Eleanor, all I know is that he..." Adeline squeezed her mouth shut, clearly struggling to hold back the sobs. "He is a rogue."

"What?" Walter's eyes widened. "A rogue? Who?"

"I don't know his name. When father almost beat mother to death, she shouted to his face how for years she had fooled him. She had been cheating with a rogue wolf since the beginning and he never noticed. After what happened, she ran away, knowing she would be punished for breaking the most sacred oath of our people. Father had doubts and did blood tests...Eleanor, your tests came back negative. I saw him change from there on."

"Why lie? Why tell me she died in a car accident?"

"Eleanor, if anyone would have known you were not his child, but a rogue's...you would have been killed. He kept the secret to protect you."

Eleanor shook her head in disbelief. "He hates me! He beats me constantly!" Eleanor shut her mouth when the Queen walked down the stairs, looking not pleased.

"What is going on here? Why is everyone shouting?"

"Everything is fine, Mother."

The Queen ignored Walter and walked closer to Eleanor. "Eleanor, why are you crying?" She glanced into the living room and frowned. "What happened to the coffee table?"

"Grieg, take Adeline upstairs."

Adeline didn't seem pleased, but she permitted her husband to take her upstairs. Eleanor didn't make eye contact with the Queen or spoke. Walter might be a good liar and could control his heartbeat, but Eleanor could not.

The Queen glanced at the outfit Eleanor wore and wrinkled her nose. "A lady does not come out of her room in such rags, Eleanor."

Eleanor wrapped the robe around her body, feeling her cheeks burn. "I'm sorry."

When Walter grabbed her hand, she didn't pull away. As he led Eleanor up the stairs, the Queen's next words froze them midway. "Tomorrow morning, your father will be here, Eleanor. You must understand that you cannot stay. There will be lots of rumors and I will not have anyone stain my son's reputation."

Eleanor pulled her hand away from Walter's. "I'll sleep in a guest room."

"Great." The Queen walked passed them and waited for Eleanor at the top of the grand stairs. "Follow me."