52

Everyone watched the screen as a hooded figure appeared in the kitchen of Spencer's brownstone

Everyone watched the screen as a hooded figure appeared in the kitchen of Spencer's brownstone. He or she would reappear over the course of the 17th-19th, adding things to the coffee pot and drinking glasses. "What the hell?" Spencer uttered.

"She's not crazy. Someone was there."

"That's insane," JJ muttered, shaking her head.

"She's not crazy Spencer," Morgan said, shaking his shoulder. Spencer nodded, his eyes glued to the screen.

"I knew that. But who the hell is in my kitchen and messing with my fiancé?"

"Do you think it's possibly they were trying to mess with you? The schizophrenia angle is very personal to you." Hotch postulated. Spencer looked up and nodded, taking it into consideration.

"Whoever or whatever this is, I want them caught. I want them thrown in jail. Poor Y/N, she's at the hospital thinking it's her," Rossi said, crossing his arms.

"I'm going to get her," Spencer muttered, standing up.

"No," Hotch said, shaking his head. "If she's there, not only is she safe, but the unsub is sure their plan is working."

"You want to leave her in there, knowing she doesn't have schizophrenia Hotch?" Morgan asked.

"It's the best bet for her safety," JJ said, agreeing with Hotch. Spencer shook his head, walking out of the room. Garcia followed after him, her heels clicking quickly as she caught up.

"Hey 187, she'll be ok. She loves you and will understand that this was for her safety."

"Garcia, I hate this. I hate that she's not here with me. I hate that she's in a hospital room thinking she's crazy. I hate every single aspect of this."

"I know you do Reid," she soothed. "But figure this out. We always do. And then you and that fiancé of yours can be beautifully intelligent soulmates and live happy ever after," Garcia whispered, caressing Spencer's cheek. He nodded, pulling her into a hug. 

"Thank you Garcia. You always know exactly what to say."

"I am the Oracle of happiness," she said, pulling away and grinning. "Now, we need your brilliant mind to crack this."

Spencer nodded and followed her back to the round table room. "Spence," JJ muttered, squeezing his hand as he sat down. "We'll figure this out."

Spencer lifted the corner of his lip, looking at JJ kindly. Garcia replayed the video, with Hotch stopping her. "There, that's a woman's hand," he muttered. Garcia zoomed in, seeing a painted thumb poking out of the ripped glove.

"Amateur hour apparently," Rossi muttered. He looked at Spencer who was staring at the screen intently. "Hey genius, I can hear the gears whirring in there. Care to share?" He said, nudging Spencer.

"Oh. Sorry. I was just thinking. Y/N's hallucinations, if they're not real, they're likely induced by some sort of chemical. And if the unsub is trying to convince us she's having a schizophrenic break, they're likely using a specific concoction," Spencer explained, looking at the screen again, his eyes scanning it for clues.**

"You think they have a background in chemistry? Or pharmaceuticals?"

"Likely, yes," Spencer replied.

"Susan was a chemistry major. But she's in federal prison," Morgan muttered.

"James?" Garcia asked.

"It's a woman's hand," Spencer said softly, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Besides, James is also in jail."

"Reid, there's something we didn't tell you," Hotch said, grimacing.

"What?"

"Well, when we went to arrest James, he was gone. Everything important was gone. He disappeared. Without a trace."

"And you didn't think that was important? You didn't think I should have known? That we should have known?" Spencer said, standing up and pacing.

"Spencer, we didn't want you or Y/N looking over your shoulder all the time." JJ said softly.

"You knew too?"

"We all knew son," Rossi said softly. "But, I think I've figured it out."

"What?"

"Alright, consider this. James was the mastermind. He was the one who convinced Susan to kidnap Y/N. He knew she would be found eventually, so as soon as we released him, believing him to be innocent, he went home, got his affairs in order, and left town. He's a chemical engineer. He could have easily synthesized the hallucinogens. And, he's charming enough. He could have gotten another girl to do his bidding. Likely one with an axe to grind with you or Y/N. Maybe with your relationship."

Everyone looked at Rossi, blinking slowly. "Dave, that's just crazy enough to be possible." Hotch muttered, shaking his head. "Come with me, there's something we need to do. JJ and Morgan, work to issue an APB on James. Reid, stay here with Prentiss and Garcia. Figure out a list of women James could manipulate into doing his bidding."

Everyone nodded, following Hotch's orders. Hotch and Rossi made their way out of the bullpen, into a sedan. "You think this is a good idea?" Rossi asked, sliding into the passenger seat.

"An hour ago I wouldn't have but I think it's necessary," Hotch said, pulling out of the garage.

-

Hello folks, hope you enjoyed this latest installment of ways to terrorize Spencer. Sorry I've been MIA, finals have been kicking my butt. However, I'm done so now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.