thirteen

Beverly

I stare at the news article on my laptop in shock. 

Harry Styles and girlfriend Nadine Leopold are OVER! 

I know we had the conversation recently, but I was shocked that he would've done it that quickly. My phone buzzes, pulling my attention away from my computer screen. I read Harry's text and hesitate slightly. 

I was definitely pushing down feelings that should not exist - like the fact that I was somewhat happy that Harry finally told Nadine how he felt. Part of me felt guilty accepting a dinner invitation the day they broke up, but he did invite Mel and Riley so... maybe it isn't a bad thing to go? I send Mel a text passing on his invitation and wait for a response. 

I'm sorry, Bev. Riley and I are visiting his family for dinner tonight. But GO! And keep me updated! 

She sends with a winky face emoji. I sigh, unsure of how to approach the situation now. I send Harry a text back. 

Unfortunately, Mel and Riley have plans tonight. 

I set my phone down, unsure of what else to say, but my phone vibrates again within minutes. 

I'm sorry to hear. Can I count on you to come then?

I sigh. I so badly wanted to go, and I would feel bad saying no. But I still felt so bothered by the break up happening so quickly and me feeling... not bad about it. But then again... Harry and I are friends. Just friends. 

I will be there. 

Sent before I could change my mind. 

Great. Come by at 5:00. 

He sends his address and I feel butterflies in my stomach, but quickly subside them. I frantically think of what I'm supposed to wear now to this dinner. I'm not even sure if he invited anyone else. I decide to just go on a run in the meantime to clear my head. I change into athletic clothes, and grab my headphones before heading out. I put my music on shuffle and begin running, when his songs begin playing in my ear. I roll my eyes, but continue on anyways, listening to his voice. 

"I'm selfish, I know. But I don't ever want to see you with him." I can't help but relate and instantly feel a pang of guilt. I continue my run for a few miles, trying to get rid of my inappropriate feelings and finally end up back in front of my apartment building. I head upstairs, and head straight for the shower as I can't stand the feeling of sweat on my skin.

By the time I get out, it's already 4:00 PM and I know it's time for me to start getting ready. I put on my robe and start applying my makeup as I let my hair air dry. I don't put much on, just a bit of mascara and eyebrow gel and a bit of liner. 

"What to wear..." I speak to myself as I look into my closet. I settle on a pair of trendy white, wide leg pants with a basic nude colored tank on top. I layer some necklaces on and stare at my appearance in the mirror. Not bad. I grab a clutch and check my phone. 4:45 PM. I take a deep breath, and spritz a bit of perfume on before I head out the door. The drive wasn't too long, but there was a bit of traffic so I arrive right at 5:05.

My heels click against the drive way as I head up towards his mansion. It was very modern and typical Hollywood mansion. Totally different from my apartment. I take one last deep breath before ringing the door bell. I see a blur approach the door through the fogged glass and the door swings open, revealing Harry. I immediately smile. 

"Hi." He smiles and I greet him back. "Come in." He steps aside and I walk into his home. It's decorated professionally, with a lot of art everywhere. I look around.