spin the firewhiskey

We joined the circle that had been forming in the middle of the room. I could see Ron across from us, next to Padma Patil, eyes barely opening and grin on his puffy lips. We waved.

"You know what Lottie," Hermione began, scaring me with the sudden murmuring in my ear. I'm not even going to dream of asking what you're doing with Draco Malfoy because I'm drunk. There, I said it, I'm drunk. Or like you and Ron love to scream, I'm off my tits, I'm off them. I spoke to Seamus, I never speak to Seamus, especially not now, and I told him to fucking cry about it. I feel awful."

"It's brilliant!" I replied, seemingly unable to be sympathetic in my current state. "It's amazing Hermione, look at the upsides."

"I don't care about the upsides, how do I sober up??"

"Don't you like the confidence?" I said dreamily, watching the circle and Pansy Parkinson dragging Malfoy to join the kiss the bottle ring.

"What confidence?" She groaned, spinning head in her hands.

"Well then I'm sorry to say it but you haven't drunk enough." I grinned.

"That's not it Lottie what the fuck-"

I looked at her confused. Hermione's careful eyeliner was smudged, eyes only semi openable and head slumped on my shoulder. Still hot though.

"Hey!" I said shaking her up. "Hermione. Just live in the moment man. Don't think about tomorrow yet."

She looked up at me blearily smiling a little.

"Harry's gunna be proud!" I squeezed jokily. "Now pray the bottle lands on you so you get a snog."

"What about Vic-"

"Fuck Victor for now, he's always going to want you but he's not fucking here is he-"

"And this means nothing?"

"Spin the bottle means nothing." I insisted. Even as I said it my eyes flickered to Malfoy and a jolt went through my heart when I saw he was staring at me too. He quickly looked away, flushed and scowling.

"Cross your fingers for me then-" Hermione slurred expectantly, smiling in my ear. I did.

The game was long and uninteresting for ten minutes, until the bottle landed on Padma, then Ron.

Somehow, even though Ron was beyond wasted, I could still see the panic in his eyes. Lovingly, I gave him a huge thumbs up which meant laughter broke out across the group.

Baffled, I looked round at Pansy's incessant laughter and gave her the finger as she mouthed aww. Draco looked like he was going to snicker too but managed to hold it in.

Distracted by the other side of the group, I hadn't seen what Ron and Padma had done but they both looked uncomfy and Hermione happily explained that they just pecked.

Reluctantly, Ron used his wand to spin the bottle again and this time it just fucking happened to land on Hermione.

"WEYYY!!!" I was one of the first to cheer, pushing her forwards to meet him in the middle.

Surprising me, Hermione smiled a little under her blush and fully leaned in to the kiss.

I cheered more.

And then for an even bigger, much worse plot-twist, Ron dodged her attempt at lip to lip and gave her a peck on the fucking cheek.

Bro.

When Hermione sat back down, her skin was hot and her eyes full of tears.

"WHAT THE FUCK?" I mouthed at Ron but he just gestured back "what???"