THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
' LOCKED   IN   MY
OWN   HEAD . '

Eddie sat at the bar, glaring at the table as she fiddled with a straw poking out of her drink. She let out a breath as she took a sip. Hargreeves sat beside her, with Five occupying the seat next to him. She almost zoned out of the conversation, but her brain registered it, deep within. Five nodded, and Hargreeves glanced at Eddie.

Her eyes lifted to lock with Five's, and she winked half-heartedly. 'Go and make sure the kids aren't licking lampposts and eating secondhand chewing gum or some shit. I've got some things to clear up with daddykins.' Hargreeves furrowed his eyebrows as he grimaced. Five nodded, swinging around on the chair and moving to the door. Eddie remained quiet, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear as she finished her drink.

'How is the treatment progressing?' he asked quietly, staring at the back of the bar.

'I have no idea,' she replied in a monotone voice. 'But it's making me feel like shit.'

'It's supposed to. It means it's working.'

'But is it really? I'm starting to question whether it's really working or whether I'm locked in my own head in a coma, on a ward.'

'It's meant to shrink it, Edward, not obliterate it. We're working with a tumour we don't know the size of. The next step is surgery, but patience is key.'

'I'm not having surgery here.' She lifted a hand to support her head. 'I'll wait to get back to the twenty-first century for that. I don't trust these heavy-handed oafs,' she paused, looking away as her eyes fluttered over the bar. 'My name's not Edward.'

Hargreeves was quiet for a moment before a quiet chuckle left his throat. 'That, I am already aware of.' Her eyes flickered to him, and she raised an eyebrow. 'It's the simple things. You don't adjust your trousers when you sit.'

A smirk formed on Eddie's face, 'Well, I'm glad you're not a complete bonehead. My name's Edelyn, but everyone calls me Eddie.'

'It suits you, Edelyn.'

She froze, a smile forming on her face. 'Thank you.'

'What for?'

'You never called me by name before. At least, not in person.' She swung off the seat, giving him a smile. He mimicked her, adjusting his suit. 'I'm not sure whether we'll cross paths again, Reggie.' She took a deep breath in, before offering him a hand. He shook it, and she smiled, turning into a slight grimace as she pulled away. 'Thank you.'

'Good luck, Mr Halen.'

'Bonne chance, monsieur.'