{prolouge}

what had she done wrong? why? what has his motivation? hermione had so many questions when she had sat down in that chair. it was all okay last night. he had come home from auror work. she had popped two bottles of firewhisky and served them and they talked about their days and their weekend plans. and all of a sudden, ronald was breaking up with her. the very next day. he was done. hermione sat at the kitchen countertop and buried her hands through her mess of a hair. what had just happened?

earlier that day, she got a telephone from ron. he said it was urgent and she needed to hear it. of course there was still paperwork to fill out and her boss wouldn't have let her out, so she left at a comfortable time, around five and apparated to ronald's house.

his house wasn't anything special. when each of them got a large sum of money from the war for their heroic work, he had spent it all on a large flat. she and harry had put theirs away for safe keeping but ronald like always, bought a new house and a car, that he can't even drive. hermione walked up the massive steps up to the gleaming doorway and rang the doorbell. she had rang the doorbell not twice but thrice and still he didn't respond. she was starting to get impatient.

"ronald open the door up!" hermione yelled with a little annoyance. she could be doing other things right now.

"hermione, back here." he responded but it sounded far away, distant. he was definitely outside somewhere. she looked around her but saw nobody around or nothing, so she peeked around the corner of the home and she saw an unlocked fence gate. she walked all the way to back deck where ron was swinging on the porch swing.

"ronald, what was so urgent you needed to meet with me." hermione asked him and sat down on the lawn chair across from him. he looked in deep thought. like he didn't know what to say or how to say it.

"hermione, you know i love you and you know i'll always be your best friend with harry. the golden trio." he said and hermione's heart started to shatter. no, no, no. not today. this could not be happening.

"this isn't working anymore. last night was the final straw. we are still young and yet we move around our lives and our places like old people. last night we talked and drank. we always miss parties and gatherings cause you have work or i'm out of town. we live on two immensely different schedules mione. it just not working out." ronald said. hermione's heart was already gone by that time. she was in such a bad state of shock, that she couldn't even respond. after all these years, and this is how it ends.

"i think we need to meet new people, date others and have fun with our lives. if we act like old people at this age, what are we going to do when we are actually old?" he tells her. hermione gets up abruptly.

"hermione." ron jumps up.

"save it ron. i don't want to hear it." hermione tells him harshly.

"will you ever forgive me?" he pleads. hermione rolls her eyes. for what. he was the one who broke up with her. didn't he know that no friendships go back to the way they were?

"ronald i swear." she tells him menacingly. she surprisingly debates the situation. well he absolutely broke her heart to pieces and he wasn't even sympathetic about it. at least he shut up when he was told.

"goodbye ron. have fun meeting new people and having other relationships. if you even valued what you earn and make, maybe you would understand that i would've wanted to save up for a vacation eventually and trips..." hermione wanted to continue speaking but ron immediately interrupted.

"hermione! you got more than enough money from the war to keep you comfortable for your life. i don't understand why you need to work so much and be so uptight." ron interrupts. hermione tries to keep her calm but it's no use.

"i don't think you'll ever understand ronald. in a way, this breakup is good. goodnight." and hermione storms out of the property and into her car where she slowly calms down. tears are streming down her face and she slams on the honk button more than once.

now hermione was at home, on her fifth firewhisky. the harsh and bitter liquid went down her throat burning it all the way down. she tilted her head back as she breathed heavily. it wasn't the most pleasant alcohol and it was most unfortunate that it smelled bad too but it did the job for hermione. she went to the mini fridge and grabbed the very last one of the six pack and popped it open.

"hermione, that's terrible for your throat. and god knows your a lightweight." a shadow spoke. hermione looked in confusion as a person emerged from the shadows. ginny?

"gin, did you know your brother was going to breakup with me?" hermione said clinking her glass down with the countertop. she just took a small sip. ginny stole the alcohol from her hands and drank a few gulps before slamming it down and sitting on the bar stool next to hermione.

"ronald broke up with you? when?" ginny looked shocked. great. so he came up with this amazing plan himself, thought hermione. she shrugged her shoulders.

"oh just about half and hour ago, that's why i'm such a 'lightweight', gin." hermione told her jokingly but ginny was not so happy.

"i'm going to-"

"ginny, doing him wrong will do you no good in the future. we weren't meant to be anyways." hermione interrupted and shrugged. ginny thought for a moment.

"hermione, i know the perfect place for you to go. the reporters will be hounding you like dogs for at least two weeks if this news leaks about yours and ron's relationship. and it's not the right time and place to be discussing such a disgusting thing, so you need somewhere to go. charlie, my second eldest brother, has a motel up in romania, close to where he trains his dragons. you should spend some time up there and come back when you are ready. he and his wife will take good care of you and i know you'll never want to come back. when i went i was dragged home by mum." ginny said excited. hermione considered it.

"yeah, you're right gin. i need to go some place. far away for a long time. thank you. i'll leave right now." half drunk hermione stated. the rest of the night they prepared and packed the whole place until the whole flat was empty. without a trace. all into one magicked bag.

"bye gin, love ya. if it doesn't work out between you and harry, you know where i am." hermione says parting ways with her best friend teasingly. she knew harry's and ginny's relationship was the strongest.

"of course mione. have fun and find yourself a husband while your at it." ginny half yelled as hermione walked away. but hermione just looked back and smirked at ginny before apparating, not to be seen again for a long time.