Part 7 - Camp Green Lake's Past!

Start from the beginning

"Bye, Sam." She smiled as the kids said bye too. "Come on then, class. Back to work."

---

Rain poured down heavily at Green Lake as the class stood by the door of the school. Thunder was sometimes roaring.

"OK, children, come back first thing in the morning. Rain or shine, we'll have school." Miss Katherine told the kids as they left the building, running home, and holding their heads. Sam and Mary Lou were watching from under the trees.

"Bye, Miss Katherine!" A student yelled as they all finally left.

Sam walked over to the school and saw her cleaning the main desk. Buckets, pots and metal jugs were everywhere as water dripped directly into them.

"Hello, Miss Katherine." He walked in with another bag of onions.

"Hello, Sam." She spoke softly with a beautiful smile on her face. He took off his hat to reveal is short, black hair.

"I thought you might still want some onions." This man was soo thoughtful of her. They liked each other a lot and it was only going to grow and grow.

"Thank you." She nodded as he walked further into the small buiding and looked up at the roof.

"I can fix that."

"Sam, are you gonna tell me now that your onions are a cure for a leaky roof?" She teased.

"No. I'm just good with my hands. I built my own boat, you know. I needed it to get across the lake to my onion field." He looked around then up.

"Then I guess you'd be in real trouble if your boat leaked." They both chuckled.

"I tell you what. I'll fix that roof in exchange for three jars of your spiced peaches." He looked and pointed at the peach jars.

"It's a deal." She held out her hand as they shook and he nodded in approval.

---

Over the course of the days, Sam had been working really hard on fixing the school roof with his bare hands. Katherine watched and smiled at the hard worker. They were mosy definately good friends!

---

Sam had finished the roof of the school house as Katherine smiled at the roof. It looked brand new.

"Well, Miss Katherine. I guarantee that roof for five years." Sam wiped his hands with a grey cloth as Katherine got her jars of spiced peaches. "If there's anything else..."

"The windows won't open, and the children and I would enjoy a breeze now and then." Sam smiled at what she requested and gave his normal sentence.

"I can fix that."

---

Days turned into weeks as Sam basically changed the whole school for the better. He didn't mind it at all. He enjoyed being around Katherine and working hard. He was listening to Katherine read a book to one of her female students.

"And the maiden, she lived with no other thought than to love and be loved by me." She smiled at her student as she smiled back. "She was a child and I was a child in this kingdom by the sea. But we loved with..." She was cut off as Sam finished off.

"With a love that was more than love, I and my Annabel Lee."

"Sam." Katherine whispered. "You know, that door doesn't hang straight." At this point it was obvious she just wanted him around her, even if he had to be working to do it.

"I can fix that."

---

One night, a bunch of adults were practising reading with Miss Katherine as a little test as a man was reading what was presented on the chalk board.