Chapter 1 : Liana

"Dear Mother," I started my letter to my mother in my hazel colored journal, as I lay on my bed. I wanted to send this letter to her because she was sick and probably dying. I felt like I had never said the three words that meant everything. It seemed easier to write them.

"When Mary Lennox was sent to Misselthwaite Manor to live with her uncle everybody said she was the most disagreeable-looking child ever seen." My sister had just begun to read, The Secret Garden written by Frances Hodgson Burnett. She had read the book five times already, and every time she spoke the first sentence aloud in her best British accent. I hated that first sentence, it reminded me of myself. I was pretty sure I looked disagreeable too.

Today was a Saturday, so I had a day at home. My home was in province 8 that was called, Bluewyvern. The provinces worked in a simple way, the royal family lived in province 1. As you worked our way through our twelve provinces, the people had less and less money. Almost every country used the province system, my country was the former France, now renamed Vaivre. Another thing about the provinces was that you couldn't leave your own province without a note for the reason why you were leaving. You could leave for school, work, or family visiting time, but you had to return to your province within fifteen hours. Apparently the provinces were supposed to keep everyone from fighting and arguing because of money, but if you lived in a poor province, you knew better. Life was simple if you were in a good province, because you were allowed high paying jobs. If you weren't so lucky, and you lived in a bad province, you got jobs that consisted of serving others. Serving others didn't pay well at all. The one thing I could look forward to after a day of long and hard work was, Xavier.

Xavier is my boyfriend. We dated secretly for two years, because of my mother. My mother felt that I was pretty enough to marry up in the province system. The thing was, Xavier lived in province 10, called Malabry. We met when my mother had our family moved from the apartment called Landmark Palace to Holly Inns. Landmark Palace was too expensive, and we couldn't afford it anymore. Xavier was the doorman at Holly Inns, and as soon as I walked in that first day, his eyes met mine. We stayed quiet with each other for about a week, when one day I was coming back from work, he opened the door for me, and then just as I was walking away I heard him. "I'm Xavier," The boy said shoving a small piece of paper into my hand.

I began to walk away, keeping the small piece of paper tucked in my hand. Suddenly I realized that I had not told Xavier my name, I quickly turned around. "I'm Liana," Then I turned and walked away down the street, to my first job interview at Krab's Seafood Shop. As I continued down the sidewalk, making sure I was finally out of Xavier's vision, I slowly unfolded the piece of paper and read the note...

Lobby: 6:00 PM... Wear something nice...

Just six words were scribbled, but they struck me hard. This boy who hardly knew me, asked me to meet him in the apartment lobby at 6:00, and to wear something nice. Was this a date? Was he asking me out? That night he ended up taking me to dinner, and stealing my heart. Since that day, he and I go out to dinner once a week with the money that we both earned at work. For a while, the time when my mother was still well, she would be at work while we went out to dinner. She hadn't found out about us until she got sick, and asked me where I was going in a dress. Even though she doesn't think Xavier is the best choice for me, she wanted me to be happy, and happy I am...

I watched over my mother and sister on my weekend breaks. It felt like the day went quickly, every time I was home. As the hours ticked by, my letter never got past the first two words. I didn't know what to say. When I peered at the clock sitting on my nightstand, I suddenly realized that it was five o'clock. Precisely one hour before Xavier was taking me out to dinner. I quickly closed up my journal, and slid it into my nightstand drawer. I loved my journal, it was something that nobody could ever separate me from, but it wasn't a diary, I only used it for special occasions. I wanted to keep it still full of pages for as long as I could, since it had been my sixteenth birthday present from my mom. I stepped toward my closet, and opened the door on the right side, that side contained the only two dresses I owned. I decided I would wear my green dress tonight, because I wore my purple dress last week. I slipped into my dress, and then did my hair the only way I knew how. I braided my hair, so it cascaded down my back and ended with a green ribbon holding it all together. I normally never tried to be beautiful in any way, except to impress Xavier.

I stepped out of my bedroom and into the living room. "Whoa," Krystal, my younger sister, announced dropping her mouth in awe. She ran up to me yelling, "Did you eat my sister, because this definitely not her! Hang on Liana I'll get you out of there!" After her fake acting moment, she looked up at me and said, "You look stunning, Liana!"
I didn't think I looked stunning, unless you were comparing me to what I normally look like. My hair was just in a braid, and the green dress I was wearing wasn't anything special. I bought it last year at Second Hand Susie's and it looked more like it had been used by way more than one other person.

As I was walking out of my room, I grabbed my nicest pair of flats and dashed to the door. Just as I opened the door I announced, "I'm-" I didn't get time to say "I'm ready," before Xavier put a blindfold over my eyes. He lead me down the stairs, and then outside. We walked for quite a while before I said anything at all...

Hello princesses and princes,

Hope you are enjoying my story! Please leave any comments or questions, I will try to answer them the best I can. I hope to update every three days.

Enjoy Princess University!

softballsting_27