three

It had been a week since you turned eighteen and nothing had changed, it's not like you expected to be free to leave the castle whenever you wanted to. But you couldn't help but feel disappointed. You had dreamed of your eighteenth birthday since you were young, to finally meet your people and explore the word beyond these walls.

Pulling your cloak over you and putting up the hood, you walked into the main entrance where your parents sat on their thrones.

"Darling, why are you dressed like that?" your mother said standing up and walking over to you, your father following behind.

"Mother, I would like to visit the town and introduce myself to the people. I am eighteen now and the kingdom deserves to finally see me."

The royal couple's facial expressions began to change, they understood what she was saying, but they still disapproved.

"Y/n, the world out there is dangerous and unkind. We do this this to protect you." Your father said, getting straight to the point. You sighed looking down.

"Your father is right, petal, we only want to protect you, soon enough you will get to meet the kingdom." Your mother said, clasping onto your hand.

"But-" you began but as your eyes met your fathers, his stern expression prompted you to say no more, "I understand."

"Thank you, we love you dearly. Soon, I promise."

With that, you pulled your hood down and walked back through the tall corridors to the same bedroom you've spent your whole life in. Sighing to yourself, your back slid along the door as you made your way to the ground, clutching onto your knees lightly.

"Soon." you whispered to yourself, your eyes meeting the window. In that moment an idea came to your head, quickly pushed away how silly it was. But when you looked up to window once more, you felt your curiosity began to take over any rational thoughts.

Slowly standing up, you tiptoed to the window, peering at the height, You looked around the at vines either side, plotting a way for you to make it down safely, remembering how the man you met a week ago was able to make it. Recently, you've been thinking about him a lot, he seemed so careless, something a princess could never be.

"How hard can it be?" you whispered.

As you began to open the window you heard the creak of the door behind you. Turning around quickly you realised that it was only Kirishima.

"Oh, you scared me." you sighed.

"Sorry, my lady." his familiar smile began to show as he approached you, "I just came to check up on you"

"You didn't have to do that, Kiri."

He blushed, hearing the nickname you called him ever since you were children.

"You are wearing your cloak, I can light the fire if you are cold." He said pointing to the fireplace that stood opposite your bed. You shook you head, chuckling slightly at his generosity.

"You never fail to make me smile after a bad day."

He rubbed the back of his neck, laughing nervously, avoiding eye-contact. "Princess, that's my job."

You and Kirishima had a weird friendship, after all he was your servant, but there were some feelings below the surface that seemed to show every now and then.

"Can I ask you a question?" you said.

"You can ask me anything." he said, his eyes meeting yours.

"Do you feel...free?"

Involuntary, his eyebrows raised, he wasn't expecting you to ask a question like that.

"I...I think so, I don't need anything more, and I'm happy here." A soft smile rose to his lips, "And I get to see you everyday."

You felt your cheeks heat up slightly, looking up at him in surprise with doe eyes. Stepping closer to you, his eyes trailed down to your lips. A nervous feeling began to swirl in your stomach.

"Kiri" you whispered, knowing that this was against the rules, "I should get to sleep."

His eyes met yours once again, a smile shadowed with slight disappointment knowing you will never be able to return his love.

"I will prepare your horse."

"What?"

"I know you plan to leave, and I know I can't stop you."

Your heart ached, but deep down you needed freedom to understand who you truly are.

You watched him leave the room, his shoulders low. Recollecting your thoughts, a determined look was plastered onto your face as you packed a bag of supplies and some money, changing into ordinary clothes, hiding your face in the shadow of your cloak.

Kirishima sighed, watching you enter the stables and climb onto your horse, he knew that nothing would stop you. And even if he convinced you to stay for tonight, he would only be slowing down the inevitable.

"Kirishima, you have to promise not to tell anyone."

"I promise, Y/n. Don't be long."

"I'll be back before you know it."

A contagious smile grew on your lips, but as the moment ended you motioned your horse to go. He stood there watching you run into the night.

"I hope so, Princess."