"Jesus Tae don't scare me like that," Jungkook breathes.

Taehyung frowned, instantly concerned. "Scare you? I-"

"I couldn't hear your footsteps a-and when I called your name you didn't respond,"

"I'm sorry, I didn't hear you," Taehyung apologized. He tightened his grip on Jungkook and kissed his shoulder. "I didn't mean to scare you like that love,"

Jungkook doesn't respond, he only buries his face into his shoulder.

"I found something that might cheer you up," Taehyung mumbled into his shirt. "It needs a couple of batteries, but it might still work,"

"What is it?" Jungkok questioned, leaning back in his hold.

"You'll see when we get home. It's a surprise,"

"Is that a radio?!"

Jungkook was already taking the contraption from Taehyung and pulling it onto his lap. Taehyung chuckled at his enthusiasm as he dug around one of the drawers for some batteries. They'd found a box of them - untouched, never opened - and figured they'd come in handy one day. "I haven't seen one of these in years. You'd think that at least one of these trailers would have one but nope,"

"I'm hoping that maybe we can pick something up? I don't know though," Taehyung stated. "But there's only one way to find out,"

He plops down next to Jungkook on the couch and motions for him to hand over the radio. He fiddles with the back half, opening up the slot where the batteries go, and slips them in. Jungkook is nervous. He hasn't listened to a radio in what feels like forever and even though he knows there's a chance that it won't pick anything up, he's hopeful that maybe they can get something. He's holding his breath and he knows Taehyung is too.

And it works, much to their surprise. There's a lot of static as first as they tune through the channels, before music can be heard coming from the small speakers and they're crying out in surprise. Neither of them know the name of the song, and they couldn't understand the words, but that didn't matter. It felt so good to hear music again. Taehyung set the radio down on the counter, before pulling Jungkook in for a tight hug. It felt so good to see him excited about something again. There was something about the younger's bunny smile and the way his eyes crinkled that made Taehyung's heart race. He craved this reaction and emotion from the younger than when Jungkook got all silent on him, he worried. But there was no need to worry anymore, because Jungkook was happy, and dancing around their abnormally small living room, having the time of his life to a song he didn't know.

Taehyung smiled as he reached out to Jungkook and pulled him against his chest. The song had finished now, and had been replaced by a less upbeat one. This one was melodic and soft. Jungkook's eager enthusiasm had faded into shyness. His face turned red as Taehyung wrapped one arm around his waist and swayed them around in a circle. Taehyung had never been a master of dancing, but he could remember those awkward slow dances from when he was still in school, and so that's what he did. He drew Jungkook in and swayed with him, the only sound that could be heard was the soft singing of the girl on the radio. At some point Jungkook rested his head on Taehyung's shoulder and sighed in content. "This is nice," he whispered to no one in particular.

Taehyung didn't say anything, he just squeezed Jungkook's hand with his own, letting him know that he liked this too. There wasn't a real need to say anything, they were comfortable with the silence, but Jungkook was mumbing again. "I wanna stay like this," he whispered to Taehyung.

"Stay like what love?"

"Like this...you and me, this is nice and I don't want it to go away,"

"You worry me sometimes, love," Taehyung murmured. "When you get like this. I know you don't mean to, but you always act as if the winter is going to separate us, that it's going to take me away, and it won't. I'm right here, aren't I? Have I ever gone anywhere and left you?"

"No," Jungkook whispered, ducking his head into Taehyung's chest. "I can't help it though, the winter scares me Tae,"

"I won't let it hurt you," Taehyung whispered softly to him. "It can't hurt you. Not while I'm here. And I'm always going to be here,"

"I know you are, but it's nice to hear you say it,"

So that's what it was Taehyung thought to himself. Reassurance. Jungkook needed reassurance. Why haven't I noticed this before?

"I'll say it as much as you want," Taehyung promised, right then and there. "If it means that I can see you smile and be happy, then I'll say whatever the fuck you want me too,"

Jungkook giggled.

"Really?" he peered up at Taehyung with those wide eyes, the older found himself getting lost in the soft, chocolate brown orbs. Jungkook's eyes are warm and inviting, and Taehyung loves them. He falls in love with him a little more every day whenever his eyes meet his own. When he finally snaps back, he goes to respond, but Jungkook beats him to it. In a quiet voice, he murmured, "Tell me you love me,"

He's not looking at him anymore, Jungkook has turned his head away in embarrassment and Taehyung can feel the heat creeping onto his cheeks. He can feel his heartbeat pick up and he's almost sure you could hear it trying to beat out of his chest.

"I love you," He says in a low tone. He's almost afraid of what this means, but Jungkook is sighing in content again, and smiling once more as he rests his head against Taehyung's shoulder.

"I love you too Tae,"

Taehyung's heart is still beating. He doesn't care if Jungkook can hear anymore. He just cares about whether or not he knows how much he really loves him.

_____ 🌿 _____

i wanted to post this yesterday but yesterday was eventful and my mental health is kind of at an all time low right now, but I hope this chapter makes up for it (: