Chapter Two - Spiral

I've always thought the Prime Minister was kinda hot. He's got this boy-next-door kind of face. Bruce voted for the conservatives, and I told him I did even though I secretly voted for this guy.

Not just because he's good-looking, though. I like his focus on family life and education. Bruce didn't care about that because he never wanted a kid.

Or, well, he'd said someday, someday he wanted a kid. But he's a liar, clearly. With the way he was able to just up and abandon me and our child... clearly he didn't want a baby.

Our baby.

My baby.

"This is a difficult time for our country, and for the world," the Prime Minister says from his little box on my computer screen. "The earth has been given an expiration date, and we'd hoped we could break the news better. It's natural to panic, to question everything about life for the next fifteen years, but now, more than ever, we need to work together."

I snort, and then gag as a chunk of something from my nose lodges itself in the back of my throat. Don'tbarfdon'tbarf... I grab for my water bottle next to me on the bed and unscrew the cap, chugging back the cold liquid before I can make another mess.

I still haven't cleaned up the vomit from the dining room. What's the point? It's not like I'm going to be able to keep living here. My job doesn't pay enough, not to mention how many days I have to call in sick with pregnancy troubles.

That's what I was going to say, today, but I couldn't get a hold of anyone at the call center. I wonder if anyone is even there. When this news broke, did everyone just fuck off from work? Likely.

"—if we give up our responsibilities and run rampant all over each other, society will collapse, and we'll be looking at the end of our world much closer than fifteen years. As for right now, we need to continue living our lives and taking care of each other, and enjoying what time we have left—"

I reach up, realizing that my cheeks are soaked with tears. How can I... how can I enjoy what time I have left? What time we have left?

My life and my baby's life has been given an expiration date. My child won't even see adulthood. And despite this man's pleas for normalcy, I'm not so naive to think that people will listen. The world is about to become an even more dangerous place than it was before.

"Fuck, Bruce!" Why did he have to leave us? At least if he were here, he could protect us from whatever is happening outside.

"—those claiming that this is a hoax, I can one hundred percent guarantee that it is not. The official studies that have been done for the last fifty years on this particular anomaly have been declassified—"

Fifty years? "You've known about this for fifty years?!" My vision blurs, and I shove the laptop off of me onto the mattress. Clearly he specifically hasn't, but people knew. And the fact that the information's been leaked now, means that they're sure.

I wrap both of my arms around my belly, as if I can protect my Little Love just by shielding her with my body. For now, she's safe in there.

What about a month from now, when I need my next prenatal appointment? Will my doctor be there, or will she be gone? Will the office still be standing? Will the building be standing?

"—rogue black holes have been an anomaly studied by top scientists for many years. They are difficult to track due to the absence of light but scientists have been able to—"

What about the grocery stores? Will they still be open? Will people be selling food? How am I going to feed my baby so she can grow if I can't buy food? Forget how to pay for it, what if I just can't get it?

"—imperative that we take some time to process this information at home, and know that you're not alone. We're all reeling with this news, but we need to pull ourselves together and remember that life needs to go on for the foreseeable future, so please—"

What if something happens to the internet and I can't pay for things with my debit card? I should try to get down to the ATM to take out cash, just in case. But what if it's not working, and there are no people working in the bank to fix it? What if the power goes out? Is anyone monitoring the power plants? What if the nuclear plant goes unattended and has a meltdown?

"—we're all in this together—"

What if there's a fire in the building and there are no firefighters, and I can't get out?

"—we still need to live—"

What if something happens to the baby and nobody answers 911?

"—we will survive—"

What if—

A scream tears its way out of my throat. Expelling a demon from my guts.

No, not a demon. My selfish mistake, Little Love. I've wanted you my whole life, and I waited too long. Now you're going to be born into a world of chaos and danger and die before your sixteenth birthday.

How can I do this to you? How can I do this to anyone?

But how can I do this alone?

"—you are not alone—"

I am alone.

I'm on my knees now, and I don't know how I got here. The floor is warm. Uncomfortably warm. I'm still clutching my belly.

Still clutching you, Little Love.

I can't let go of you. I won't.

* * *

Note: Don't forget to go and add 's book to your library if you want to read a companion novel set in this same world!