Chapter 30: Planning A Rescue

Nebula's POV:

"Keep me guarded." I whispered over my shoulder as I had my laser gun pointing towards some trees.

I did some signals with my hand and the guards took their place on their indicated spots. I moved forward and two guys had my back. We spread around the forest, seeking for this unusual thing.

"All clear at 9 o'clock." My earpiece had a low volume but I could still hear the captain.

"Clear at 3" The other guard said. I moved the bush that was now in front of me and quickly pointed the gun down.

"Clear at 12. Spread out farther. We still have 10 miles to cover." I say over my earpiece and both men responded.

I told my guard to come behind me as I stepped out to the plain field. Everything seemed normal up until a few feet away, we heard some strange noises.

"Nebula?" One of then whispered. I placed my finger in my lips to silence him and point to keep an eye on me and at the area in front of me. They nod and I go first, ready to face anything.

I slowly walked through the forest, stepping at the dry leaves and branches. The sound came clear again in a couple of inches away from me. I had to get over a fallen tree trunk to get closer to the area of the noise.

I let my right leg over the trunk and quickly but gently bring the other leg over. I turned to check on the guys and they were doing great. I turn back around and take one step forward, making a big crack sound echo through the calm forest.

I take another step and I lost footage. I fell down a deep dark hole, hitting my lower back with the impact of the fall. "Nebula! Are you alright?" I heard the guys shout.

I couldn't even scream as the pain of my back was getting even worse. I only closed tight my eyes and slowly tried to get myself up and lay down sideways.

"Nebula?" The guys asked again.

"I'm here. It's alright, ugh! I'm fine!" I shouted up at them. I could barely see their heads look down the deep dirty hole.

"I'll go call for assistance. Resist there until we get something to aid you." The other guy shouted.

"Bring a rope or something! It appears to be 8 feet deep. It's an animal trap." I say and try to get myself to move a bit. I couldn't since the pain was too strong so I laid there. I waved my hand so that the dirt could give me a better and clear view of the trap.

I gave up as I saw nothing but darkness around me. "You give up that easily?" A man's voice whispered in the darkness. I looked around me and found my loaded gun. I quickly took it, scooted up a bit and point all around me since I had no idea from where the voice came.

"Why? You forgot about me so quick?"

"Where are you? I can't see you. I have a weapon you know." I say, threatening the familiar voice.

"Oh Nebula! You make me laugh. I can see you have a weapon." A dark figure moved and I pulled the trigger. "Really?"

I let a sigh out as I notice it was Loki. "Did you do this on purpose?"

"No. I just took advantage of this scenario." He said and sat on the verge of the dark and light area. I looked up to see and hear if anyone was above us.

"What do you want? Are you here to kill me?" I say, trying to sit up straighter. I notice his hand reach for my leg. I can't move it since it's fractured but I still feel his hand.

"I want news. And why would I kill you? I'll have to be a fool to do that. How's Angela?" Loki asks.

"She's alright. She's quite a fighter and can annoy anyone with her mood." I say. I hear his chuckle and his hand was not in my leg anymore.