Winners

Hello again, everyone!

The 3 winners of the #BornToProvoke contest are...

<<October_baby10>>

A WOMAN

Last night I smelled the courage of a woman,

She was fighting her fears somewhere in the corner of the world.

Last night I felt the pride of a woman,

She was breaking stereotypes and walking equally with a man.

Last night I heard the laughter of a woman,

She was freeing herself from being labelled and sexualized.

Last night I sensed the relief of a woman,

She was accepting her flaws and demons without judgement.

Today I see a beautiful woman,

She is carrying herself with confidence and acceptance alongside her companions.

Today I see a beautiful woman,

She is successful and is the pride of herself.

Today I see a beautiful woman,

She is strong and a contender to the vices.

Tomorrow I will see a woman,

She will carry the world alongside a man.

Tomorrow I will see a woman,

She will be the pillar for another woman to rise.

Tomorrow I will see a woman,

She will be the nation's daughter!

<<flawsomefvcker>>

Reckless

She found beauty in recklessness, a certain charm which prudence could never possess. The way her Pumas slammed against the wet ground while she ran in the blinding rain made her shudder with exhilaration. Her soaked top clung to her skin and blood still poured from the wound on her forehead, but she didn't care. She loved her scars more than anything, they were a part of herself.

The gold medal she had her fingers tightly wound around was a major source of her pride, and she couldn't wait to show it to her mom. She knew that if there is one person who would forever support her, it was her mom.

She rounded a corner, looking around herself before climbing the gate and landing softly on a patch of grass. She found her smile flattering as she saw the dried flowers resting against the gravestones- a grim reminder of death.

In the rain and brewing thunder, she walked over to her mother's grave on which a fresh pair of purple gladiolus were resting-- symbolising strength. The rain had soaked them, yet they looked breathtaking. She sat down on the ground, bittersweet tears brimming her eyes as she whimpered out, "Mom," she cleared her throat, "My first nationals, and I won Gold. See?" The medal dangled from between her fingers, and tears began to drip down her face. Yet, her lips were stretched into a smile as she wiped a palm against her mother's gravestone. Her smile turned wider as she read the engraving.

"She lived recklessly. And she lived well."

Her mother had taught her that women aren't born to be tamed, they are born to provoke. And she would make sure to provoke the society till it is time for her to lie down next to her mother.

<<CallmeRosh>>   

Aneesha Lamba; Age 20.

Eligible for the 1500m race.

My eyes were pinned on the computer screen when dad placed a brown rectangular carton on the table in front of me.

I opened it curiously and a gasp of surprise escaped my lips.

Sports shoes?

"Tomorrow is a big day for you darling. I'm just making sure you have the best of everything." Dad confirms.

***

I fastened the lace of my shoe

Focused on the instructor for cue

Sprinting on the whistle sound

Leaving behind the discouraging hound.

Free from the gender bias

Away from the colour difference

Competing with the meteoric wind

I was surging for the injustice to end.

I was running to break the shackles

Tied by the society's morals and values.

I was crushing the stereotypes

Fighting for my fair rights.

The iron no stronger to break my will,

The past no longer burying my skill.

I was the cougar leaping for the win.

I was the cougar living my dream.

I saw my dad standing in the crowd

Cheering my victory loud and proud

I mirrored his smile with a heaving chest.

Two tired lungs and two content souls.

The little push, the constant support.

The encouraging words, the unconditional care.

Dedicating to him, I lifted my medal.

The society can keep their diamonds and gold.

---

Congratulations to all the winners!

We will get in touch with you shortly for your vouchers :)

As we mentioned at the start, it was a tough tough decision to select the winners. And so, to acknowledge all the other beautiful entries, some of the best entries will be shared here in the coming days. Stay tuned!