Chapter 34 ~ Those Left Behind

Note: Hey, guys! Sorry for the very long wait - I was trying to catch up on the latest episodes and the finale so I knew what direction to take the final chapters in. But without further ado, here's the next episode before the finale - I hope y'all like it :)

Episode: Season 15 - Inherit the Earth Pt. 1

They were all gone.

Everyone was just...gone.

In a turn of events that no one saw coming, Chuck had made the whole population of planet Earth (and probably otherwise) totally and completely disappear after we had a run-in with him. Even Eileen was gone. I could tell it broke Sam more than he would admit - he had really started falling for her. I had liked her, too - I thought she was going to be apart of this family. And now she was just gone.

No, now it was just me, Sam, Jack, and the kids. And hopefully, somewhere, Dean as well. Sam had called and called but wasn't able to get him on his cell.

The idea that he may have disappeared too left me with an empty feeling, right down to my bones. But as Sam turned the wheel, directing the car around the corner, a sleek black Impala came into view. And finally, as all five of us scrambled out of the red car, my eyes met Dean's emerald orbs and I raced over to him.

Within seconds, I was in his arms and for the first time in five hours, I felt as if I could breathe again. His embrace was tight, his body tense and the sight of him alone made me realize that something horrible had happened. I cupped his jaw, gazing up into a very thinly disguised distraught face.

"Everyone's gone," Sam spoke up finally as we broke apart, "Did you see anybody on the way here?"

"No..." Dean shook his head distractedly, eyes unfocused.

Something was haunting him and I knew it. I had no time to think on it though when Yasmin ran over, her body colliding into that of her father's as he instantly gathered her to his chest.

"Dad," she breathed softly, her voice so low I could barely hear it, "You're safe."

He held her tighter, holding the back of her head gently as he reassured, "I'm safe."

My heart warmed at the sight of the two of them together like this. Dean had told all about it when they got back from their hunt but I had yet to see the change myself. And it made me happier than mere words could even begin to describe. Tears pricked my eyes but I blinked them back as Yasmin took a step back, an embarrassed expression on her face. Just like her father, putting her feelings on public display was not her strong point.

"Billie," Sam spat angrily.

"It wasn't Billie - it was Chuck," Dean said, eyes finding his brother's.

"Where's Cas?" Jack asked then, interrupting the two of them.

Dean glanced down briefly, hurt and despair flickering on his face as he did, "He saved me. Billie was coming after us and Cas summoned the Empty... It took her...and it took him... Cas is gone..."

I could hear the emotion in his voice, the words nearly choking him. Taking a step closer, I wrapped my arm around his waist and leaned my head on his shoulder. I felt tears in my own eyes at the revelation. Cas had been my friend ever since we met him. In fact, next to Sam, he had been another best friend of mine. I felt my heart clench at the thought - that inevitable thought - that I would never see him again.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Yaz walk over to Jack, comforting him as I comforted Dean.

"This can't be happening," Sam shook his head, shock written all over his face.

"It is, Sam," Dean said, "I think everyone's gone."

Sam walked away to make a call, my fingers twining with Dean's as we went to find something - anything - that would make sense of what was left.

"Jack, I'm sorry, man..." I could just hear Roman say to his friend, hand clamped on his shoulder in a brotherly fashion.

Together, Dean and I - later joined by Sam - found our way to a diner. It was abandoned by now as well, of course. Coffee pots were still running, music still playing in the background, even the television was still on - a football match left unfinished, just an empty field on the screen.

"It brings a whole new meaning to the term sudden death." Dean said softly, catching my gaze.

"And you think we're it?" I asked, my words quiet in the otherwise silent diner, "All that's left?"

Dean reached over the counter then, pressing on a wine tap that was still running, "Yeah... Us, Jack, the kids."

As if they'd hear their names, Jack, Roman, and Yasmin all walked in then.

"So, um, what now, dad?" Yasmin glanced over at Dean, coming to stand beside him.

Instead, Sam answered, "I did this... We could've just given Chuck what he wanted. You know, his grand finale. But I resisted. I pulled the threat, I thought that we could beat this game - do it better. We tried to re-write him and the whole world paid the price,"

I bit my lip, feeling sympathy well up inside me for my best friend as I put a gentle hand on his arm, "Sam, we can-"

"-we can what? There's nothing left, Park! No one left to save, everybody's gone!" he shouted, making me flinch back.

"You can't just give up!" Jack protested, Roman nodding in agreement.

"Yeah, dad, we're Winchesters right? We never give up," he added.

"What other choice do we have?!" Sam bit back.

"Sam." I admonished under my breath, shooting him a hard look.

Guilt instantly flooded his features and his hazel eyes looked remorseful for letting his anger flare up at Romy.

It was only a little while after that that I took the kids back home - back to the Bunker. For what Sam and Dean were about to do, we'd likely be safer there. If anywhere could be deemed "safe" now, that is.

Kissing him hard on the mouth, my arms wrapped tightly around Dean's waist, I couldn't help but mumble as we broke away, "Be safe, baby,"

"Always." he whispered against my lips, breath warm as he quickly planted a butterfly kiss to my forehead and let me go.

And driving away, the reflected image of the two of them standing there against Baby in my rear-view mirror, I hoped that was true.