Chapter 48: Honor Thy Father VIII (Epilogue)

A/N: This is the epilogue part of Chapter 48, not of the story. Since this update may contain a revelation, I'm again asking you not to post any SPOILERS. Reaction posts, memes, and GIFs are okay, as long as they do not give away the context.

Let's not ruin other people's reading experience. Thank you!

 Thank you!

LORELEI

IT'S BEEN days since I buried my father in Manila. He was laid to rest in the mausoleum where my mom was also buried. His friends and acquaintances, most of whom were high profile personalities, attended the ceremony and offered me their condolences.

Just a week ago, I attended Maggie's burial. This time, I attended my dad's. Two heartbreaks in a row. I sometimes wonder how my heart could handle any of it.

I still couldn't believe that he's gone. But what choice do I have? Kailangan kong tanggapin. Masakit ang katotohanan, masakit ang reyalidad, pero hindi ko na mababago kung ano ang nangyari. My late dad would have wanted me to keep my head high and carry on his legacy, whatever that meant.

The day after the burial, I went back to our apartment in Pampanga. Kahit na weekend kung kailan dapat sana'y nagpapahinga sila, pinuntahan ako at sinamahan nina Alistair at Jamie, at siyempre ni Loki. They were my support system. They were there in my darkest days. We talked about a lot of stuff, watched movies on Netflix and played card games, just to get my mind off the sorrow that crippled my heart.

The pain that I felt wasn't only because of my dad's death. What also shattered my heart was the truth that my uncle, who twisted my real dad's simple wish of remembering my mom, had him killed.

I felt pity for him, especially when he was being taken away by the police. But I struggled to find it in my heart to forgive him for what he did.

Sunday came. Nancy, my dad's loyal secretary, scheduled a meeting between me and my dad's attorney. She's been calling me more frequently now, always saying sorry for disturbing me. Ang dami niyang sinasabi sa akin, halos lahat ay mga bagay na hinihingan ng approval ko. Karamihan sa mga 'yon, wala akong idea. They're mostly about business, which I had no knowledge of.

The attorney, who was the executor of father's will, pulled out a piece of paper from a sealed envelope. He went all the way here in Pampanga to read the last will and testament. Naglupong kami sa living room ng aming apartment unit. Apart from Loki who leaned against his room door, Alistair and Jamie were also there for me. They flanked me on both sides in the couch.

"I, Walter Rios, being of sound and disposing mind and memory, and not acting under undue influence or intimidation from anyone, do hereby declare and proclaim this instrument to be My Last Will and Testament, in English, the language which I am well conversant. I give and bequeath the entirety of my assets both liquid and otherwise, and of my properties to my only daughter, Lorelei Rios."