Chapter 18: Flashbacks

CARL'S POV

"Carl,baby,wake up." My mom's voice rung through my cell.

"Is dad up?" I groan sitting up on my bunk, rubbing the sleep form my eyes.

"Yes, he's outside in the garden." She says, dropping the curtain, making it dark in here again. I stand up and stretch, putting on my jeans on in the process. I put on my belt with everything on it, like my gun, knife, etc. I pull on my mom button up, plaid shirt before walking out of my cell.

I go into the cafeteria, where Beth is singing to Judith, she did have a beautiful voice and Carol and Daryl are eating breakfast..together. Mhm.

I grab a granola bar, opening while walking outside. I see Maggie and Glenn on walker duty. There seems to have been a huge build up overnight. I finish eating my granola as I approach my dad.

"Hello Carl." He says, digging a small hole and dropping a seed in it.

"Hi Dad." I say, standing there awkwardly.

"Just start picking the ready stuff." He says. I nod even though he can't see me and start picking the tomatoes. I put them in a small basket and soon I'm finished, I go inside and hand them to Hershel, who takes them in the kitchen.

"Thanks." I smile softly at him, before walking outside to the walkers against the gate. I kill a few of them, Maggie and Glenn decided to take a break I guess.

All of sudden the gate starts breaking and comes down. A loud scream escapes me mouth before I pull out my gun and start shooting. I try running away, but they start closing in on me.

"Carl!" I hear my Dad yell, I can hear multiple footsteps coming towards me and guns going off.

One bullet.

That's what I have left.

I take a deep breath before shooting the closest one to me before pulling my knife, which doesn't work as good as my gun.

Soon there's a hole that I burst through and run over to my dad, he drops my gun and falls to his kness, considering how short I am, as I hug him, tears falling down my face.

"You're okay." He says, stroking my hair, as Daryl shoots the walkers.

"Guys, a little help please." Daryl says, and starts backing up.

He hands me a gun and I start shooting as many as I can.

Almost everyone in the prison was outside watching.

I shoot the last walker and drop my gun. I sigh and try to put my knife into my holster, but I fail, consdiering how shaky I am.

My dad lays his hand over mine and helps me put it in.

"Thanks." I smile, slighty.

"That was a close call." Daryl says.

"There's more coming." I say, looking over to other walkers cling to the gate.

"Carl look over." My dad says and he picks me up, so I can see over the fence.

I see a HUGE herd coming towards us.

"They're coming! A whole lot! Like 3 hundred or so." I say as he lets me down.

"Carl go get everyone inside, I have an idea." He says, and I nod and he pays my shoulder as he always does and o start going back up to the hill to the prison.

I jog up to everyone and everyone starts yelling questions.

"What happened?"

"Is everything okay?"

"Where's Rick?"

"Everyone's okay! The Walkers pulled the gate down, but there's more coming so everyone has to go inside." I say and start ushering people inside.

My mom hugs me half-heartily before walking by Carol.

They go inside and Beth wraps her arms around me before I can reject.

"I thought you were dead." She cries.

I wrap my arms around her waist and bury my head into her shoulder.

"I'm fine." I say.

"Are you sure?" She asks.

"Yeah just a bit shooken up." I smile.

She lets go and kisses my cheek softly before leaving.

I get a few smirks from Glenn and Maggie before grabbing two rifles and going back outside.

I hand the rifle to my dad and walk back into the courtyard, my gun ready.

Walkers start piling in before I put my finger on the trigger, take a deep breath, and pull the trigger.

A loud gunshot pulls me from my thoughts. I stand up slightly and see my dad's finger on the trigger pointing behind me.

"Carl you have to start paying attention." He says before walking away to the tent.

Sarah left a few weeks ago, maybe a month.

I guess I haven't really functioned right.

I tune out everyone, barely eat, barely sleep.

I realized how much of a dick I was being after she left.

I hope she's okay.

I really do.

I feel myself slowly starting to tune out again.

"Carl!" Sarah giggles from under me.

I smile and kiss her lips softly. She smiles into the kiss before she entangles her hands into my hair.

She loved doing that. I kinda liked it too.

She started to deepen the kiss before I found my hands running underneath her shirt.

She smiles a little before pulling back. Her eyes still closed.

I smile and start taking her shirt off.

Her smile gets bigger.

We slowly start to undress, mixed kisses, and touches inbetween.

And the rest is untold.