Prologue

Dear Reader!

This is book four of the Shadows of the Night series. If you haven't read books 1 - 3, please go back and start with "Breathe Under Water" - Don't miss all the fun ;-)  

For the rest: You know the drill by now. As a side note: I decided to use a new cover pic. The settings and characters change (and hopefully 'evolve') in this book, I felt the cover had to go with that. Anyway, I hope you like it!

Now to the story: This is book four, and it feels slightly surreal. Sometimes I think I have the coolest gig in the world - all thanks to you!! So thank you for reading. Believe it or not, you made this story happen.

Lara

_____________________________________________________________________________

Copyright @ Lara Stein All Rights Reserved Copyright:

All the chapters and content of this book are copyrighted. All rights reserved by the author (Lara Stein) and any unauthorized copying, broadcasting, distribution, manipulation, or selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringement of this copyright is punishable by law. Any links, brand names, the cover picture or otherwise copyrighted material is not my own, and is not covered by my copyright. No copyright fragment intended.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Prologue

I get up every morning and I look at my reflection in the mirror. And I know it's there, right there. One look is enough. I know my name and where I come from. Finally, I know about my past. It gives me strength in ways I never thought possible. This is who I am.

I know my place in this world, can tell truth from lie, right from wrong with my own set of morals and beliefs. No one can take that away from me. There are invincible, unalterable truths no one can change or threaten. They are my powerhouse, my gravitational center, and the pillars my whole world is built on. The construction is made of concrete, rock-hard, down-to-earth indestructible.

I know it is there today and it will be there tomorrow. No matter what happens, it will hold.

And then, one day, the unthinkable happens. For the first time I notice there are small changes in there. I take a closer look at the mirror, check again. I go still. My reflection becomes fuzzy around the edges, melts, and turns into something else. All of a sudden nothing makes sense.

There are fissures and cracks in the concrete. Not only on the surface. They're right there at the bottom, underlying slits and weak spots. And they are widening.