Chapter Forty Three

Florence didn't find out how, but Gally persuaded Lawrence to let her come too.

"Alright shanks, shall we get going?" Gally asked, a little impatient.

Florence nodded swiftly. Although she felt a bit embarrassed about causing a scene, she didn't regret it. If she had to fight to be as much a part of Minho's rescue as Thomas and Newt, she would.

She watched Gally climb the ladder down into the manhole, before moving and doing the same. She caught eyes with Frypan right before she disappeared, the boy giving her a reassuring smile that spurred her on.

They had climbed down into a sewer. It smelled strongly and badly, Florence feeling the urge to gag at the stench. She carefully avoided the suspicious stream of water down the middle of the tunnel, demanding that Gally directed his torch at the ground so she could see where she was stepping.

"Ugh." Newt let out a groan of disgust, his nose wrinkling. "This is gross." He complained as they walked through the tunnel.

Florence could've sworn she saw a smile pass Gally's lips at the way the three of them were so grossed out by the path they were taking. Her brother however, didn't notice this, commenting,

"Yeah, this is great."

Gally moved to the side of the tunnel, hitting a button and causing the generator to power up. It set off a series of lights down the tunnel, illuminating the brick walls in a strange yellow glow.

"Stay with me. We got a ways to go." He encouraged as he moved again, the three others exchanging glances and trailing after him.

At the end of the tunnel, Gally reached a door. He paused as they readied themselves, before opening it and slipping out, attempting to look inconspicuous. 

Florence copied him, keeping up to his pace as she tried not to marvel over all of the people. All of it was incredible. In fact, if she were to concentrate on it properly, the city would bring a tear to her eye.

It would make her think of all of the things she and Minho wanted to do outside of the Glade. 

Despite being under the control of WCKD, the city was bustling with life. Well, controlled life. 

"Red zone, departing the station in five minutes. Thank you."

The neon lights and towering skyscrapers made her stomach twist in excitement, as if this would be the sort of place she would want to explore in an idea world. Or maybe it was the thought of Minho being close by, and getting him back from WCKD.

Or both.

A train whizzed past on a raised line, weaving in and out of the tall dark buildings with tiny bright lights scattered across them. 

"This is a long way from the Glade." Newt muttered.

His eyes were shining in awe as the four of them came to a stop at the top of a set of stairs. Florence had been silent for a while, breathing in the life of the city, which - unsurprisingly - felt much more alive than anywhere they had been in the past six months.

"Fifteen minutes to mandatory curfew." An announcement began to echo out in the street. No more people were around, so it was safe to presume the curfew was a regular occurrence and most people went home a little earlier to be ready for it. "Please proceed home in an orderly fashion. Remember, this is for your safety. Thank you for your compliance."

"Yeah, we better get off these streets. And I know it's hard, but act like you've seen it before."

Not knowing how she'd manage it at all, Florence listened, and continued to follow the knowledgeable boy. They jogged across a crossing, falling flat against the wall of a building as a car - presumably a WCKD worker's - swung out of the turning just beside them, but turning away.