fifteen

[UNEDITED][JASON]

        I looked down at Amanda who had fallen asleep and I couldn’t help the smile which appeared. I loved my niece more than anything and I would do anything to keep her safe.

        I imagined that’s how I would be if I ever had a daughter. I would protect her and keep her safe from all the evils of the world, especially the male population. She would be my little princess and she would always get what she wanted, within reason that is – I can’t afford to be like Chloe and give my daughter absolutely everything she asked for.

        I would always love her and she would always be my little girl, even when she was twenty-one and living her own life. She would still be my little girl when she walked down the aisle and when she gave birth to her own child for the first time. She would never stop being my little girl.

        Age is just a number. If you ever have a daughter then you will always have the urge to keep them safe and to protect them from the world, even when they are old enough to face the world on their own.

        You just never really want them to grow up and you will do anything to prevent them from growing up. They will hate you for it during their teenage years but, when they got older, they would realise that you did nothing but the best for them and you only did what you did because you never wanted to see them hurt by the world.

        “What time is Chloe getting here?” Erin disrupted my thoughts. I realised we were still sitting on the kitchen floor, me leaning against the counter with Amanda on my lap and Erin’s head lazily on my shoulder.

        “I don’t know. She didn’t tell me,” I replied.

        “Well, I’ve put Amanda in the same room she was in before and I have text my Aunt. Hopefully she will be looking to have a break from Damien for the night,” Erin chuckled.

        In the last two weeks we had looked after Damien four times and he was one energetic kid. He wanted to sleep by day and play by night. He would be wide awake at eleven at night and then ready to sleep at five in the morning. I wondered how Erin coped with him at times because I came close to shouting at him.

        Don’t get me wrong, he is a sweet kid and I am sure he will get on with Amanda, but he just has far too much energy for a six year old. He never wants to do as he’s told and he’s impossible to control when he does start misbehaving. It was enough to drive mother insane at times but Anita loved her son, regardless of the trouble he caused.

        Erin also loved her cousin, even when he was giving her the run around and refused to do as he was told. She loved Damien in the same way I loved Amanda, I guess I just had a hard time accepting the way he was because Amanda had never been any trouble. She had always been the shy and quiet one who did as she was told first time and never argued back about anything.

        Damien and Amanda were, to put it simply, binary opposites. I had everything in my body crossed that the two of them would get on rather than come to blows with each other.

        “Ah. Damien. I can’t wait to see him again,” I muttered sarcastically.

        “Just because he redesigned the inside of your car,” Erin laughed, though I didn’t find it all that amusing. Damien had thought it would be a good idea to take some paint with him on the journey back to his mother’s house, paint which ended up covering the back seats and doors of my car and was damn near impossible to remove.

        “I was happy with the leather interior I had. But I guess the red and blue do brighten the place up,” I stated unamused with her comment.