Chapter Thirty-One: In Another Future

Was this the part where I turn around and run as fast as I possibly could out of here?

I didn't want to though because the person standing in front of me was the older version of the man that had all of my trust. Besides, he looked like he knew what was going on and why I was suddenly jumping through various timelines.

Hold on, so L.C. really did mean Leon Colten. Then what the hell did A.B.C. stand for?

"Take a seat for now," he offered, gesturing to one of the lounge chairs, "Do you want something to drink?"

This was so weird, no matter what angle I looked at.

"No thank you, sir," I rejected his offer while slowly lowering myself down on the seat.

"Sir?" his eyebrows raised and this was accompanied by a small chuckle, "Call me what you usually call me."

There was no way in hell that I was going to call him 'my angel' thank you very much.

But anyways, he was well aware that I knew who he was. While he was taking his sweet time just waiting for me settle in, my mind was a jumbled mess. Right outside that door was the Leon that I loved, waiting in agony for me to return to him.

And here I was talking to another Leon who felt like a stranger to me.

He might as well be a stranger considering I knew nothing about him.

"Whenever you're ready," he hummed, occupying the chair opposite from mine.

What did he want me to do?

I guess the most obvious answer here – ask the questions. Uncover the mystery, find the answers to why I found myself in the past, then a future, then a farther future.

Why did he send his younger self the whistles to save me?

In the simplest words that I can find, I shot one question, "What's going on?"

He expected this and so, he nodded calmly, "You're in the future."

Yes, I figured that all on my own, thank you very much.

I shot him an extremely dry look, causing him to release another chuckle before finally giving me a better explanation, "This cottage is unaffected by time travel provided by the whistle because it runs on its own scheme. Just like you, I'm not from this timeline."

If he thought that cleared up all of my confusion then he was gravely mistaken. The only thing I got was the part that he wasn't for this timeline as well. That kind of made sense since this timeline's Leon was apparently married to the me of this timeline.

I've said the word timeline too many times, okay.

"Then why are you here?" I fired, "Why are we having this conversation? And why is my Leon outside?"

"First, having two version of the same person see each other could be extremely dangerous, I just don't want to risk that," he explained, answering the part of why only I was allowed to go in, "And I'm here because you managed to trigger the correct chain of events."

Excuse me?

"Chain of events?"

He pushed himself up to his feet and walked over to his giant wall of clocks. They weren't just any ordinary clocks, they each had a date under it of differing years. My hunch was that those clocks showed different timelines.

"By some miracle, Leon managed to give you one of the two whistles," he first said and it was kind of freaky that he was talking about his own self in third person but I guess that was what we were dealing with, "When he went back to the past, you came with him and retained your memories."