70

"Okay so if Derek was a sophomore back then, how old was he?" Stiles asks before turning to Peter. "How old were you? How old are you now?"

"Not as young as we could have been but not as old as you might think," Peter says and Faline rolls her eyes.

"Okay, that was frustratingly vague," Stiles says. "How old are you?"

"I'm seventeen"

"See that's an answer," Stiles says. "That's how we answer people"

"Well, seventeen how you'd measure in years," Cora says.

"Hmm," Faline nods. "Dog years. That'd make you about a hundred and twenty-four you grandma"

"I'm just gonna drop it," Stiles says. "What happened to Derek and your sister?"

"What do you think happened?" Peter asks. "They were teenagers. One minute, it's, 'I hate you, don't talk to me.' The next it's frantic groping in any dark corner they could manage to find themselves alone in for five minutes"

"Their favorite dark corner was an abandoned distillery," Faline says. "Just outside of Beacon Hills"

"Alright hold up," Stiles says. "How do you know all this? You just said they were alone"

"Back then he wasn't just Derek's uncle," Faline says.

"I was his best friend. His closest confidante" Peter says. "That's how I know"

"One night they were all there," Faline says. "Deucalion, Ennis, Kali. They all had their packs and Ennis was out for revenge"

Faline draws a spiral on the window.

"Our mark for vendetta," Peter says.

"Man werewolves really take that revenge thing to like a whole new level, don't you?" Stiles says.

"It's not just revenge," Cora says. "Losing a member of your pack isn't like losing family. It's like you lose a limb"

"They wouldn't even let him see the body," Peter says.

"I don't get it," Cora says.

"What does this have to do with Derek?" Cora asks.

"Everything," Peter says. "It's never just a single moment. It's a confluence of events. Personally, I looked at Ennis' circumstances, I saw a profound loss. Derek saw something different. He saw an opportunity"

"It wouldn't have happened if you hadn't have planted the idea in his head," Faline says.

"Opportunity to do what?" Stiles asks.

"To always be with her," Faline says. "He had a fear. He began obsessing over it all night and all day. Always on his mind. I knew when he began asking me about her likelihood of surviving the bite. I warned him against it, I was only young but I knew Paige. I knew that Paige wouldn't care when she found out the truth and I also knew she'd want to stay human"

"Where do druids fit in?" Stiles asks.

"They keep us connected to humanity," Cora says. "But they're a secret, even in the pack. Sometimes only the Alpha knows who the emissary is. Derek and I had no idea about Deaton"

"Or his sister Morell," Peter says.

"She's an emissary too?" Stiles asks.

"For the Alpha pack," Faline says.

"Our guidance counselor?" Stiles shouts. "Why don't people tell me any of this stuff? I shared some really intimate details with her"

"I don't think Deucalion is going to want to know what goes in in the mind of the local town spaz" Peter rolls his eyes.