020| The heart knows not exactly what it wants

🌼🌻

He turned on the bed and turned again. Finally, he laid on his back and stared at the ceiling, spaced out. Elliot wore a smile on his face. He couldn't stop smiling ever since he left Gene's apartment. He knew he needed to get some sleep, but he couldn't stop thinking about the kiss they shared. His heart fluttered at the very thought of it. He was excited. Probably way too excited to fall asleep.

Earlier, he wasn't sure about what he felt, but he knew he'd felt something really special towards her. Then, after the kiss they shared, he was more than sure about what he felt. He'd fallen in love with her before he even knew it. He wasn't sure when it started. Perhaps, the night he met her sitting alone in the lounge or maybe, when she began her futile attempt at pretending nothing ever happened between them.

He placed a hand on his chest and felt just how fast his heart raced at the mere thought of her. A sigh left his lips as he turned on his side. Elliot couldn't wait to see her tomorrow and for that, he knew he would have to find a way to put himself to sleep. Eventually, he did so.

~ ~ ~

Gently and slowly, Genevieve opened the door out of her apartment. First, she popped her head out, looked left and right. There was no sign of anyone, so she let out a silent sigh in relief. Quietly, she made her way out and locked the door after her, then made her way down the stairs. She had to avoid him. She wasn't sure if she could stand her ground in front of him. Already, it was an established theory that she goes weak in front of him, so that was her only option.

Gene felt thankful when she got down from the last staircase and hurried off to her car. Once Gene drove out of the compound, she remembered his words; I look forward to seeing you tomorrow and she lightly shook her head to ward off the thought. As far as she felt concerned, it was the right thing to do. Well, that was what her sense of reasoning assured her.

Genevieve sighed before lifting her eyes above her desk. She felt strangely uneasy. Why didn't he come looking for me? She couldn't help wondering, but then again, she left the house pretty early in order to avoid him. Gene shook her head once more, but a little violently this time, quite determined not to keep him in her thoughts. That was what was best for both of them. Somehow, she could do that during work hours.

That evening, Gene stared at her reflection in the mirror. She lowered her eyes to her belly, staring at the reflection of it. The thought of having a baby. Gene hadn't given it a thorough thought. Not having the baby wasn't an option and yet she can't stop thinking about how she was going to have this baby. How is she going to break the news to her family? Of course, she would have to pretend like the society and her closest acquaintances won't just make her the new topic of discussion.

How is she going to raise a baby all by herself? She was clueless about what to do. Is it going to be worth it, having this baby? Gene shook her head a bit aggressively to ward off that thought. Abortion was not an option. Ever.

She stared a little longer at her belly and couldn't help imagining how big it was going to look in a few months. In the end, she sighed and put on her clothes. Gene made her way to the living room, sparing the door out of the apartment with a glance before making her way into the kitchen. She warmed some stew once she finished with boiling the rice, served herself some, and headed to the dining table. She sat and ate in silence; her gaze focused on the door.

Why isn't he showing up? She worried and soon, she finished her meal.

Later, Gene paced back and forth in front of the door, by the dining table. She kept stealing glances at the door. Suddenly, she stopped.

What am I doing? She queried herself, as if recalling her senses. Gene sighed as she buried her face in her palms. She was behaving childish and unusual. She'd always believed it was best to stay away from him, but who knew his absence would trouble her so much?

No, Gene shook her head. Whatever it was could not happen. She didn't need to get into the details to convince herself it simply wasn't simple. As hard as it may seem, their distance was probably the best for both of them. She'd never given much thought to letting Elliot know about her pregnancy, but in the end, it was best he didn't know. She turned away and made it back into her room. After nearly an hour of turning on the bed and forcing herself to not think about the man that lived beneath her, she could finally fall asleep.

The next morning, Gene stood in front of his door. Second by second, she brought her knuckles close to the door, an attempt to place a knock, but she always seemed to bail out as her hand dropped right back to her side. Several attempts ended in failure. In the end, she let out a sigh before turning away and hurrying her steps back to the stairs.

He's fine. He has to be fine. She assured herself even as she sat in her office, lost in thoughts. Her phone vibrated, and she spared it a glance. Eventually, she sat up straight, forcing every distracting thought behind the back of her mind before reaching out to pick the phone. She slid her finger on the screen and brought the phone close to her ear.

"Hello, Gene." He called, and she took in a deep breath, seeking for energy to keep herself going.

"Yes." she replied to let him know she was listening.

"Good afternoon." He greeted, and she responded to it.

"I'm not interrupting anything, am I?"

Gene didn't have to look around, but she subconsciously did so.

"No." She replied.

"Great. Well, do you perhaps know how Elliot is doing today?"

Gene's brows gradually furrowed. Nervousness seeped in and in the sparse of the second, she recalled the kiss she'd shared with Elliot. Guilt washed over her.

"W-why would you ask me that?" She defended, somewhat ready to protect her interest.

There was a strange silence on his part for a few seconds.

"Gene, you know Elliot has been sick since yesterday, right?"

Genevieve was silent. The news had taken her as a terrible surprise and then it all made sense to her. His absence; why she hadn't seen him and the silence. She kept her elbow on the table and shut her eyes as she rested her head in her hand. She'd been so stupid, caring about herself alone. Gene felt worse as emotions threatened to overwhelm her.

"Gene, Gene." Her brother called, wondering if she was still on the line.

"I didn't know." She replied.

"Well, he wouldn't let me come over. He keeps claiming that he'll be alright soon, but he didn't make it to the office today, so I guess he isn't yet himself. I was wondering if you could check up on him."

There was a grave silence on her part. Gene wasn't sure about what to say. She lowered her eyes as her head dropped low.

"I'm not sure... maybe." She replied and ended up disconnecting the call.

A sigh left her. Gene shut her eyes tight, trying to not think much about what she heard.

He said he was going to be alright. She reminded herself of the words he'd said to her brother, but that did little to calm her growing anxiousness. She thought about the fact that he was alone and no one knew what worst situation he could be in. Anything could happen.

Suddenly, she stood to her feet, grabbed her handbag and hurried her way out of the office.