Prologue

AN: Please keep in mind that I do not own anything except for Cameron and Camille!

[Editing concluded: August 23, 2015]

---------------

Soft, upbeat humming could be heard coming from the short girl who made her way down the brightly lit halls. A small spring entered her step as her hands readjusted the flowers she had purchased for her brother. The visitors that were in the hospital that day were watching in curiosity as she walked by.

Camille was a 16 year old girl and it was unusual to see such a young person walking through the terminal cancer ward. Many older people were patients, their adult children occupying rooms during visiting hours. Everyone who saw her was curious who she was there for except the regular staff. They looked on with grim expressions today as opposed to their normal sad smiles.

The red-haired girl was obviously in denial over the fact that her twin brother was never going to get better. At any point they mentioned he had a short time left she grew outraged and started screaming that they were lying to her. If her brother said anything she grew emotional and cried. She was a mess.

She stopped at a door that was at the end of the hall, the name on the door reading "Cameron Bellitonia". This was the room she visited on her way home from school every day, meeting their parents there in order to catch a ride home together after their visit concluded.

Today her brother had left the door slightly ajar, or rather a nurse had, to let her know that they were not running tests or speaking with him at the moment. This caused her to smile a bit more before she adjusted the flowers in her left hand to push open the wooden door with her right to reveal a pristine hospital room. Cameron lay on the bed with his eyes shut behind his red plastic rimmed glasses, ruby red hair fanned out over the pillows that propped him up. His body was covered with a thin white sheet and his favorite cat stuffed animal was laying next to him where she had left it yesterday. On his other side rested his long ponytail that grew out from the nape of his neck, free of tangles thanks to a kind nurse.

"Hello Cam." She greeted in a cheery, but quiet voice. The sound of it was soft enough that you had to listen for it to be heard, but she knew he would be expecting it. He always did. "How are you today?"

The only response she got was a rattled breath that came out through his cracked lips. This was a common occurrence lately that still caused her to become panicked each time she heard it.

"You okay Cam?" She asked, her voice lacing with anxiety and concern.

"F-fine Cammie." He murmured before opening his red-brown eyes that matched her's perfectly, looking over at her. "Don't worry about me..I will be fine..soon." His voice sounded strained as he turned his head to look at her slightly.

"Don't talk like that! You act as if you're going somewhere. It's scaring me." She scolded with eyes that stung with tears.

"I am..they told me so." He murmured once more as she picked up the vase next to his bed to replace the water. He licked his lips and cleared his throat,"Listen..I love you Cammie. You're the best sister anyone could wish for." His voice sounded hoarse as he spoke, swallowing hard before continuing,"I want you to know that."

She started to bring the vase back over from the sink, plopping the flowers she had brought down into it with shaking hands. She set it down on the bedside table once more before situating herself on the bed, taking his hand in her own. "I love you too, but please stop talking like this." She pleaded with him.

"Tell mom and dad that I love them too." He said as his eyes shut again.

"No...you can tell them yourself. They will be here any moment. You have months left! The doctors said so a week ago! You're not leaving me." A tear slipped out of each of her eyes, making tracks down her pale cheeks so that the others that leaked from her eyes would have a path to follow.

"I can't fight anymore.." He rattled in another breath before squeezing her hand lightly, exhaling as he let go. The heart monitor he was hooked up to began to screech as she screamed out his name and grabbed his hospital gown in her small hands.

"No! Come back! You're not dead! You're not dead! Cameron! Please, don't leave me!" She sobbed as she fisted his hospital gown and slightly shook his limp body.

Nurses and doctors came streaming in, prying her off in order to try to revive him. Her parents coming in the door as she sank to the floor hugging his favorite cat stuffed animal, sobbing his name over and over until she could not make another sound.