Chapter 1.

Sophie

"We're going to the party tonight, right?" I asked Nina while finishing my last slice of pizza. 

I'd been at Blueside University for a week now and I still hadn't met anyone new. Granted, I hadn't had much chance considering it was Christmas break, but I was still glad I knew at least one person. 

My transfer here hadn't exactly been planned. I'd been studying at Brookfield University for a year and a half when the chance had appeared. Blueside University was willing to offer me a scholarship for their architecture program that is undoubtedly better than the Brookfield one I was attending. Of course, I had applied to Blueside when I'd finished high school but didn't get in. So I went to Brookfield and worked my ass off because I knew some students got a chance to transfer every year. And now I was one of those lucky students. 

On second thought, Nina wasn't the only person I knew. My step-brother also attended here. Two years older than me, Jin was a business student. I'd known him since I was twelve, but honestly, it felt like my step-mom and my two step-siblings had been in my life forever. Once my dad met Jin's mom, Mary, it was like he became alive again, and I couldn't have been happier for him. Before we knew it, Jin, Lily - Jin's sister - and I became family. Not that I mind, I love their company, although we can't see each other that much anymore.

Jin and his girlfriend Maggie were supposed to come to the New Years' party with Nina and me, but they bailed, saying they wanted to celebrate alone. I didn't blame them though, I'd rather celebrate with a partner than a bunch of drunk college students.

"Of course we're going," Nina said with her mouth full of the pizza we were just finishing, "As soon as I choose what to wear."

Ah, yes, the biggest problem of the year so far. My outfit was already laid down on my bed. My new apartment was tiny, but it also meant that I didn't have to live in the dorms and that had been all the convincing I'd needed to get it.

"Okay, then show me your options, and let's get ready," I jumped off the tiny kitchen counter I'd been sitting on, and headed to my bedroom.

---

Every single option that Nina'd brought with her was incredible, but in the end, we opted for a sparkly gold dress, just because when else would she have such a perfect opportunity to wear it if not on New Year.

With our makeup and hair done - mine just straight and loosely tickling my shoulders, and Nina's in a high ponytail - we headed out the door.

"Matt is meeting us in front of the frat-house," Nina said after checking her phone as we started walking to the party. 

Matt was Nina's boyfriend and he was the one who'd said we absolutely had to go to this party. Supposedly, it was the best one on Campus by a long shot for those not going home for the holidays. As much as I wanted to spend some time with my Dad and Mary, I was kind of enjoying the independence and freedom I had here. Besides, how could I ever miss out on the most awesome party of the year?

The walk to the frat house wasn't that long, but just long enough for the cold air to clear our heads a little because Nina and I might have drunk a bottle of champagne while getting ready.

"You okay?" Nina asked me, her light brown hair falling out of her ponytail because of the wind, as we walked alongside the residence houses on campus.

Actually, I'd been mulling something over in my mind since we started walking.

"I've been thinking," I paused, trying to form my thoughts, "no one knows me here, right?"

Nina nodded slowly, unsure where I was going with this.