Chapter 1

Olivia's POV
"Mr Carrey, it's always a pleasure seeing you in town around this time of year." I said as I took my seat at the conference table. Mr Carrey has always been a pretty good business partner and even a good friend.

"Well, it's not everyday that Olivia Grant invites you for an all paid vacation to New York ." He replied with a shy smile.

"Well, Henry, you and I both know that you're here for business while your wife and kids are here on vacation... and besides, Lilly  would kill me if I pulled you away from her and the kids for another business meeting again." I replied while taking a sip of whiskey that was placed before me.

"Then let's get to it then, what can I do for you?"

" A close companion of mine needs a little politically related favor, and I decided that you should be the one to complete that favor on my behalf." I replied looking straight into his eyes . He was seated right across me so I got a pretty good view. He had eye bags which made it clear that he hadn't had a good night's rest in a while. I could see a smudge of red lipstick on his cheek, it looked like he had tried to clean it ,which worked a bit, but I always notice the tiniest details.

"What sort of favor ?" He asked sternly.

"Well, he's thinking about running for a senatorial position, and while the people love him, he's going to need your help with the other senators."

"Olivia, I am a governor, I don't have the time for this rubbish. When you have an actual business deal for me, you know how to reach me." He said as he got up from his seat. I also got up and walked towards him.

"You know what, I'm so sorry. I know how diligent you are and also how morally upright you are. It was wrong of me to try and suggest such to you." I made sure I was loud enough for the cameras to capture that. I pulled him into a hug and then I whispered into his ear. "YOU WILL DO IT OR ELSE I WILL PERSONALLY CALL LILLY AND LET HER KNOW ABOUT THE SKANK WHO YOU HAVE BEEN SPENDING YOUR NIGHTS WITH. NOW YOU'LL PULL OUT OF THE HUG, AND YOU'LL GIVE ME A KISS ON THE CHEEK AND YOU'LL WALK AWAY". As soon as he gave me the kiss on my cheek, he hurriedly walked out of the conference room.

I had a long day ahead of me, I had about 6 more meetings and I wasn't even feeling too good anymore, I felt sick to my stomach.  As I walked to my office, I stopped by my secretary's desk.

"Kellie, I need you to cancel all my appointments for the day and also tell Ronald that I'll be leaving the office in 10 mins" I said .

"But Ms. Olivia, you have a meeting with Claire from CA and you can't afford to miss this meeting "

"Kellie, last I checked, I owned this company, tell Claire that if she wants a meeting with me, she will have to wait till tomorrow. " I was about to enter my office when I turned and I looked at Kellie.

"Oh, and Kellie " she raised her head to look at me. "Don't ever question my decisions again ." And with that, I walked into my office.

I took a seat by the fireplace and I poured myself a glass of wine. I had a lot to deal with and I didn't even know where to start from. I walked to my desk, grabbed my bag and laptop with my phone in my hand and I walked out of the office. I went to the parking lot where Ronald was waiting for me. He opened the door and I got into the car and with that, we were out of the building.

"Where's our destination Ms Olivia?"

"Home ." I could see Ronald looking at me through the mirror, he knew something was wrong. I never left the office early and I never went home immediately after I left the office, I would always stop by to see an old friend of mine. Ronald has worked for me for 7 years now and I consider him more of a  family friend than an employee. On a normal day, we would carpool and get lunch and all, but today, I just wanted to be alone.

After a while, we pulled up in front of my building.  I got out of the car and walked into the lobby, I got into the elevator and waited for it to take me to the penthouse. After a few seconds, I got out of the elevator. I was immediately met with the best view of New York. I loved my home, it had automatic glass windows from ceiling to floor and it gave the best view of the city. Every morning, I would stand there and watch the sun rise and at night, I'd watch the bustling city that never sleeps.

I kicked my stilettos off and I walked to the kitchen.  I dropped my bag and laptop on the kitchen island and I walked over to fridge. I grabbed a bottle of water and an apple and I went into the living room. I was so tired that I didn't realise when I fell asleep.

I woke up around 10:45pm due to the constant ringing of my phone. I looked at the caller ID and it was my mom.

"Hey mom, is everything ok?" I asked with concern due to the constant calling.

"We were at home.... and...." For the first time in my life, my mom almost sounded scared. I sat up on the couch due to my nervousness at this rate.

"Calm down mom, what the hell is going on???!!!"

"Ok, your aunt Jess and I were at the house when we heard gun shots, we were trying to run to the bunker but your aunt got shot in the leg... we managed to escape but I don't know how long we can hide out here, they're already in the house." Shit! I'm going to kill those fools that I hired to watch the house. I could hear my aunt screaming in pain and suddenly the line went dead. I tried to call her again but it wasn't going through.

I got up, ran upstairs to my room and I went to my bedside drawer and I pulled out my gun. I quickly changed into a simple jean and top with my jogging shoes . I ran downstairs, grabbed my phone and keys, but as I was about to step into the elevator, the elevator doors opened and I ran into Ron.

"Olivia I'm sorry but I can't let you leave. I received the distress call from Tom saying that the house was attacked. If I let you leave, you'll do something that you'll regret later and I won't let you risk your life. Give me the gun , go get a drink or something and let me handle this" Ron said looking sternly at me.

"She's MY MOTHER. Now you can tell Tom and whoever was with him that they better skip town before I find them . Now get the hell out of my way" I said returning his stare. He was about 6"5 and I was about 5"5 so I had to raise my head up so as to match his stare.

" I'm sorry, but I can't let you leave. Give me the gun Olivia, let me take care of this. "Ron insisted. I pulled out the gun and instead of giving it to Ron, I pointed it straight at him.

"Ron , I'll say this only once, move or I'll shoot." I was dead serious.  I was looking him straight in the eyes, but he didn't budge.

"Let's go." That was all he said. I couldn't argue, knowing Ron, that was the best offer he would give me. We got into the elevator, went down to the car park and with that, we were practically racing to my mom's house all the way across town.