thirty five ; hollow humanity

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

THIRTY FIVE;

HOLLOW HUMANITY

"Maybe we need a little more time to get back to normal."

Scott's voice was laced with optimism, standing next to Stiles as the boy made an attempt to get his locker open. To the right of the brunette boy was a blonde girl, standing so silently as she kept her head towards the ground with her hands shoved deep into the pockets of her hoodie. She still found herself unable to look any of them in the eye for too long, which is exactly why the tile floor has become her best friend for the time being. When Scott said that, though, she looked up in surprise. She didn't see how time would make any of this go away, especially since it seems like the more time that they spend with these hallucinations and these horrors the worse it gets. Only a few days ago did she begin to see more than just two deaths in twenty-four hours, and now they were just tearing her apart any chance they could get.

Stiles didn't seem too encouraged either as he spun his lock. "Yeah, try not to forget that we hit the reset button on a supernatural beacon for supernatural creatures. There's a pretty good chance that things are never going back to normal."

"Yeah," Scott muttered, realizing that Stiles was probably right.

Stiles' eyebrows furred as he tugged on his lock, realizing that it wasn't opening no matter how many times he spun his combination. Sage watched him in curiosity, wondering what the problem was as to why he couldn't get open his locker. She would have helped, having known the locker combination, but she figured it would only make things awkward seeing as she broke things off. The only positive thing about the fact that everyone seemed to be losing their mind was that Sage and Stiles didn't have time to gravel in the discomfort of standing so close to each other, plenty aware that there were more serious issues going on than their teenage romance gone wrong. Like, for instance, the fact that the blonde just screamed in her classroom after seeing Allison die in front of her.

Or, in another example, the fact that Stiles couldn't get his locker open. Swallowing the uneasiness she felt speaking to him, Sage asked, "Did you forget your combination?"

"No," Stiles denied, turning to glance at her for a single second with a shake to his head, only for his eyes to settle on the fact that they were just as close to each other as they had been back in the hallway when he grabbed her face to see what was wrong.

Sage bit down on her chapped lips before moving grab his lock, twisting it so that she could find the first number. In the moments that she was doing so, Stiles' eyes caught onto the ring that he had given her still positioned on her middle finger. A small smile cracked on his face realizing that she hadn't taken it off even after things ended. She promised not to but he hadn't held it against her, especially since she was adamant on getting it off when she was trying to break up with him. His smile fell when he glanced over at his best friend to see that Scott's eyes were now flashing a vivid crimson, and his own orbs went wide as he gaped at the wolf. "Dude, your eyes."

"What about them?" Scott asked, panic shooting up his spine as he remembered back to earlier that morning when he saw the red reflection through his bike helmet. Sage turned to look, confused as to what the two boys were talking about. Her hands fell from Stiles' lock the second that she noticed Scott's eyes were a blazing red, something that was definitely not appropriate for school. Just like screaming in a classroom wasn't appropriate.

"What abou—" Stiles was exasperated. "They're starting to glow."

Scott's eyebrows furred. "You mean, like, right now?"