~9~ Mud Fight

Maleficent has brought Aurora back to the Moors again. Me and Diaval accompany them, both of us humans at the moment.

Tonight Aurora is visiting the mud creatures, I never actually learned that name of any of the creatures in the Moors.

I watch as one of the little creatures holds a small bouquet of white flowers out to Aurora. She smiles fondly but before she can take them mud hits her in the back and splatters across her and the little guy.

He looks down sadly as Aurora turns around to face the one who threw the mud.

To my surprise Aurora scoops up some mud in her hand and throws it at the creature.

Soon mud is flying everywhere as Aurora and the creatures have a huge mud fight.

I laugh lightly at the sight.

A stray throw of mud comes flying in our direction and hits Maleficent in the face.

The creatures freeze and all mud throwing stops. The one responsible for the throw ducks low in fear.

Me and Diaval snort with laughter. We lean against each other as we laugh loudly.

Out of nowhere a huge splash of mud completely coats us both and we stop laughing.

I hear laughter from Aurora and the other creatures though. I wipe my eyes so I can see and I look over to see Diaval also completely covered in mud. I start laughing again and jump up from my spot to join in the mud fight.

I splash through the small creek and scoop up some mud to throw.

Suddenly I'm hit from behind by a giant glob of mud. I spin around to see who threw it and see Diaval doubled over with laughter.

I smirk and throw my ball of mud at him. It hits him square in the chest and he falls over backwards. I jump and shout in victory.

The night continues on everyone throwing mud with Maleficent just watching from her spot.

I'm chasing after Diaval when my foot suddenly slips on the slick mud and sends me sprawling forward. I collide with Diaval and we both topple over into the stream. I of course land on top of him.

I laugh, "Sorry, Diaval."

He laughs too, "You're forgiven, (y/n)."

We stay like that longer than necessary, our laughter dies down and we lay just looking into each other's eyes. A new desire courses through me, a want to run my hands through his hair and to feel his lips on mine.

I'm snapped back to reality when I remember we aren't alone. I look up to see everyone's eyes on us. Maleficent and Aurora share that same knowing look. My cheeks burn as I look away and stand.

I offer my hand to Diaval and help him to his feet.

Eventually the mud fight dies down and Maleficent leaves with Aurora. Me and Diaval find a small pond to clean up in.

When Maleficent returns we are all cleaned. I look at her and it seems like she has tears in her eyes.

"What's wrong?" I ask softly as I sit next to her.

"I tried to reverse the curse and it didn't work." She explains.

"Oh." is all I say. "There's still time we can figure something out."

Maleficent nods absent-mindedly.

~time skip~

Aurora's birthday is in three days. In three days we could lose her forever. The thought make my gut twist.

I sit next to Maleficent and watch as Aurora pets a large flying creature.

"Aurora! Come here." Maleficent calls.

Aurora comes over as the creature flies away.

"Sit." Maleficent says and Aurora sits. "There's something I need to tell you."

"What is it?" Aurora asks.

"There is an evil in this world and I can not keep you from it."

"I'm almost sixteen godmother, I can take care of myself." Aurora says.

"I understand, but that is not what I-" Aurora cuts Maleficent off.

"I have a plan, when I'm older I'm gonna live here in the Moors with you. Then we can look after each other."

I look between Maleficent and Aurora. Maleficent seems to think about it.

"You don't have to wait till you're older. You could live here now."

Aurora smiles brightly. "Then I will!" Aurora jumps up, "I'll sleep in a tree. Eat berries and black nuts, and all the fair people will be my friends. I'll be happy here for the rest of my life. I'm going to tell my aunties tomorrow!"

Maleficent smiles softly at Aurora, "Until tomorrow."

Aurora runs off happily, "Oh I'm so excited!" she laughs.

I tilt my head and look at Maleficent.

What is she going to do about the curse? Sooner or later Aurora will find out about the curse.

~*~
Words-796