Chapter 30: A Clever Outcome

Start from the beginning

"Grell," Knox said. "What in Reaperdem are you doing here?"

Grell looked him, Knox knew he appeared a little scatterbrained at the moment, then at the others.

"I was about to ask you that very same question. Who are these people?" Knox quickly introduced them. "I take it, you're not here to retrieve this young man's soul?" he said, gesturing to the remains of Trent Banes.

Knox shook his head. "Boy, do we have a story to tell you and it involves our traitorous boss," he said.

Knox went through the whole story that included Decco, Thann and Spencer and others…all the way up to William's traitorous decision to help the demon. Grell, in turn, revealed Mathu Kelvin was back, and at present was holding the entire household hostage in the family cemetery plot, a kilometer away. And who had murdered Trent Banes in a demonstration of power, blowing up him and his vehicle, soon after he had brought First Inspector Frederick Abberline to the mansion for sanctuary.

"Not him again! How did he escape from…" Knox began to say about Mathu Kelvin.

"We don't know yet, he hasn't told us exactly," Grell said. "He's being elusive."

He turned and saw Spencer Von Strauss clutching tightly to a gold chain in his hands that had a crucifix with his face folded in a mean-looking scowl.

"Where is he? Get me a gun!" Spencer's voice was grisly.

"Bullets won't hurt him, boy," Grell explained. "He's not human, he's something else entirely."

"Take me to him now! I want to see the murdering bastard!"

"I take it that that it was you screaming a moment ago?"

Knox nodded. "After I told him what my suppositions were, that Mathu Kevin had killed his friend with all the evidence I found - the supernatural residue and static electricity charge on the metallic parts...the pieces fit." Knox turned to Spencer. "I'm sorry for your friend, Spencer. But there's nothing that can done."

"Can you bring him back to life like Decco did with Thann?" Spencer asked.

"I'm sorry, we Reapers can't do that. That was a rare happenstance. And there's not enough of him regardless." Knox knew that last part was a bit insensitive, but the truth had to be told. "I want you two to wait in the Phantomhive mansion until all of this is over."

Thann nodded, but Spencer didn't want to go. He was too angry to let the death of his friend just slide. Thann put his hands on Spencer's shoulders to help guide him to the mansion, knowing he didn't want to leave but it was necessary to get to a safe place.

He said, "We'll wait in the mansion, Reaper Knox, but if you can, kill the bastard for the both of us."

Knox nodded, but knowing that would not be possible due to Mathu Kelvin's supernatural powers. The Von Strauss brothers left the scene and entered the mansion, the door had been left unlocked.

When they were gone, Grell said, "Salem is here as well."

"Good," Knox said flatly. "Once I tell him about William, the pig shit will fly."