Chapter Twelve

YAY I updated on time haha ;)) This chapter was hard to write…I hope you all like it x

MEGAN’S POV:

                “I’m here to talk...”

“About what?”

                Niall took a deep breath before taking a step closer to me. He placed his hands on my shoulders and gently steered me towards the bed where he directed me to sit down. I did so confusedly and looked back up to him. “Megan I’ve been trying to say this to you for almost three months now,” he started a little nervously, “I’m sorry.”

                We stared at each other for a minute.

                He sighed, “I’m so sorry for hurting you Megan. That was never my intention; I need you to know that. And I realize that I can’t just spring an apology on you and expect you to accept it. I get that. Just please hear me out; I’m sorry I kissed you that day...I don’t know what I was thinking I guess...I’m sorry about how I handled things; I was being a stupid asshole. Mostly, I’m so, so sorry that I’m just telling you this now.”

                I stared up at him. My eyes were stinging with tears but I refused to let them spill down my cheeks. I took a deep breath and tried to push away the hurt. Despite everything the thought of that kiss not meaning anything still hurt me. I expected everything else about the situation to still be bothering me but not that. Why was I still so upset?

                I took a deep breath though and accepted his words for what they were worth. “It’s alright Niall, I forgive you. I don’t want to fight with you anymore, I hate fighting with you.”

                Niall’s face lit up with a smile and he took an instinctive step forward to wrap me up in a hug. I was sitting so my face ended up buried in his stomach but nonetheless it felt nice. Before pulling away he planted a small kiss on the top of my head. “Thank you so much Megan, I don’t even deserve your forgiveness,” he said as he pulled away and sat down next to me.

                “Don’t be too hard on yourself Niall.”

                He shook his head, “I’m not Megan. You’re just being too easy on me. I broke my promise to you and I can never fix that no matter how many times I apologize.”

                I stared at him for a long minute, “Promise?”

                His eyes found mine as he nodded. “I promised I wouldn’t let anyone hurt you. I hurt you.” He let his head hang dejectedly for a moment. I part of me wanted to gently smooth his hair and tell him it was alright, but I couldn’t. Ben was lingering in the back of my mind the entire time. What if he found out that Niall was there? He would be livid. I really didn’t want to get him angry at me. I was beginning to feel like it was my job to keep him happy; not just for me but for everyone he was ever in contact with. If one person could keep his temper stable that would be good for plenty of people...right?