From Across the Room

It was 12:56

Benny and Beth were both already there, waiting on opposite sides of the room.

Beth tended to keep to herself before games, trying to prepare herself. Benny was on the other side talking to a group of young men, they were talking about chess, of course. He always seemed to have a crowd around him.

Emilie was just drawing as she always did.

When the match was starting, Beth and Benny said something to each other before starting to play, Emilie couldn't hear from where she was.

Then they started playing.

The room was tense. It was palpable and increased as the game went on.

Emilie started taking notes about the match, things about what was happening, comments about their mannerisms, and of course a detailed picture of the scene.

There was a moment. Only seemed to be noticeable to Emilie, but there was a moment where something about Beth changed. She messed up. Emilie examined the board to see what caused it.

Beth had missed something, she was too focused on doubling pawns.

It had been a little over an hour at this point, and the game was going to be over soon.

There would either be a draw or Benny would probably win.

Then Beth put her hand out. It was a draw.

"Tough game," he said to a dejected Beth before getting up. There was applause for the two co-champions.

Emilie got up to go to Beth, them and their mother were going to dinner after. Emilie happened to bump into Benny on the way.

"Sorry Mr. Watts," she said ultra-politely, glancing up before continuing to walk over to Beth. He gave Emilie an odd smile but kept on walking as well.

Beth stood up on her own as soon as the press got their pictures but once they rounded the corner, she held her older sister's hand and leaned on her a little.

Benny went back to his room for a minute and realized there was something in his pocket. One was the picture he had asked for previously with a note on the back,

You didn't technically win but your face is nice.

The second thing was another drawing, he couldn't really tell what it is, but there was another note,

Here's my address... You can write me, or I'll see you in another three years

The last thing was a keychain that said,

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas

He was alone in his room but all that made him smile to himself.

-

"It was brutal," Beth said with a sigh

"I mean at least you're guys are co-champions," Emilie said trying to help a little/

"I was too focused on doubling pawns,"

"You were focused on winning," Alma added. She tried to call over a waiter to get her another drink.

"It's ok mother, I'll just go get you another," Emilie said.

She got up and went to the bar.

"Another Gibson, you can put it on our tab," she pointed at their table. The bartender nodded and went to work. Emilie looked across the bar and a certain person was across the bar looking at her.

Nothing was said.

They just watched each other. Never breaking true eye contact. He raised his glass to his lips, her eyes followed. Looking at his hand, then his mouth, then back at his eyes. Her heart was pounding. This felt so personal despite the fact they were so far apart.

"Here you go Miss," the bartender said making Emilie break the little dance they were doing with their eyes. Even as she walked back she looked back at him before sitting down and composing herself to talk to her family.

"Sorry it took so long," Emilie said with a smile.

"It's fine dear," there was a bit of silence before Beth said,

"My next tournament is in about a month,"

"Well that's good more time at hom-" Alma said.

A man bumped into the table. That man was Benny.

"Pardon you, sir," Alma said reprimandingly.

"Sorry, ma'am," he tipped his hat towards them. He last looked at Emilie.

"Way for him to rub it in," Beth said with a huff.

"Yeah." Emilie agreed but she was looking down at the napkin with writing that had appeared next to her.

I don't write much, maybe call me?

Emilie wasn't alone so she had to keep that smile contained.

This wasn't how she expected to enjoy Las Vegas, Nevada.