Chapter | Thirty-two

Start from the beginning

I suck a deep breath through my nostrils, rolling to one side and meeting my aunt's eyes, looking gently at me with a smile.

"Sweetheart, don't stand up yet," she says.

"My baby..."

"Your baby is fine, and you are fine as well. Sometimes pregnant women do faint, nothing unusual," she replies, coming closer and sitting on the bed.

"We had a doctor here earlier and she gave you some vitamins and something to sleep. Nothing to worry about, it's mostly herbs. And she said everything is normal," she continues, lifting the fearful worries off my chest.

"Thank you, aunt Feli," I tell her, laying back down on the bed.

"Here, you also need to eat, sweetie," she advises, placing a tray with food in front of me and I swear I'm already drooling.

"Oh, God. I'm starving," I reply, fetching the fork, stabbing some pieces of the tortellini that smell heavenly, and shoving them in my mouth.

"Aunt Feli, I'm really sorry for earlier. I didn't mean to be such a brat," I tell her between two chews of tortellini and some smiles.

I glare at her a few times, checking her expression and hoping I haven't been too rude and lost her protection.

Her smile gets brighter and her eyes are sparkling with happiness.

"You cannot imagine how happy I am, Eve," she says, and my eyes widen, and stare at her, wondering what she means.

"Happy?" I mumble.

"My baby brother will be a father again. This is a blessing," she continues and escapes a sob she can't hold back anymore, with a fainted laugh, her joy mixing with tears forming in her black eyes.

I'm staring at her, and my heart is breaking into million pieces, the amount of regret for hearing mom and Enzo talking that day weighing like stones on my chest.

I shouldn't have! I should have never stood rooted to my spot and listened. I should have never found out about them cheating on my dad, I should have never learned of an Enzo falling in love with my mother.

I should have never allowed him to nest so deeply into my soul and let my stupid heart fall so hard for him.

"Yeah... well, I can't change that now, can I?" I reply with regret in my voice, wiping my tears with the back of my hand and shifting my eyes away from aunt Feli's stare.

"Are you regretting it?" she asks, horrified.

"Yes, I do! I do regret falling for him, I do regret having his baby, but I don't regret having a baby," I rasp back at her placing my hand on my slightly bumped belly and biting my tongue for bubbling such painful stupid words.

I don't regret falling for Enzo, but it hurts so much that all I can do to stop falling apart is to deny it.

"Eve..." she breathes at me with a frown, my words shattering any logic of her thoughts.

"They cheated, aunty. They cheated on my dad. They... they had this.... thing, whatever the fuck it has been! And I know about it! Yes, I know about it!"

"Who are they, Eve?" she whispers, totally oblivious to what I say.

"Enzo and mom..." I reply, tears watering my shaking lips, looking at aunt Feli and already becoming unsure of what I say.

"Oh, sweetheart..." she breathes and pulls me into a strong hug. "I'm so sorry, Eve. I can imagine what you are thinking, but there is so much more to that story," she continues, holding my head steady between her hands, looking deeply into my eyes. "There is so much more to that story that you don't know about. And it's not me that you should speak with about it."

"I don't want to hear about it anyway," I pull my head away and start shoving tortellini again into my mouth, chewing nervously.

"Look, I know my brother seems... scary sometimes and I also know that maybe you think he doesn't want Emillia but... he fought for her, Eveline. He fought for a very long time but her mother... they were never together, Eveline," she breathes deeply and squeezes my hand that she has been holding since the beginning of her story.

"And she never accepted to let Emillia stay with Enzo. He has suffered a lot and I've kept telling him that he's a Don. He can do and have whatever he wants. He can take Emillia by force and raise her and give her a proper life but... he believes a child's place is with its mother. He used to sleep in his car in front of their house just to see Emillia, even from far. Having lost a baby brought Enzo to the will of not wanting others, but when Emillia came... I don't think I have ever seen Enzo happier ever before, even though he loathed her mother."

I realize I'm tearing heavily only when aunt Feli cups one of my cheeks and wipes some tears away.

"So, you see sweetheart, it's impossible that Enzo to reject his children. He might have done mistakes in his life, but as a father... he wasn't that lucky and he never took it lightly," she continues and stands up, becoming suddenly distant and making her way to the door.

Before she opens it to leave, she rests her hand on the doorknob and turns toward me one more time.

"Now, I'm going to give you the time you need to think. And decide when to tell him, but I'll not wait for too long. No matter what you think or feel, Eveline, Enzo is the father of that baby, and he has all the rights as a father, and you can't deprive him of that. If you are old enough to become a mother, you should be old enough to take that responsibility for your child as well, not only for yourself," she says and walks out, closing noiselessly the door behind her.

I left her house that day. I told Jason that I wanted to move into my home, and he never questioned. As usual.

I knew she was right, but I hated to be judged.

Aunt Feli didn't oppose, although she was tearing her heart out when we bid our byes, held strongly by Massimo, and I didn't know if she was sorry for me leaving her house or for me being so stubborn and isolating myself from everyone. But I wanted that isolation and I hoped to be left alone, bonding with my baby without the heavy history of my family.

Or at least... at least that's what I thought. Because the day I left for my new home was the first time when I noticed a black SUV following while Jason was driving us to my house.

"We have company," he says, looking worried in the rear mirror and preparing for one hell of a ride.

*****
Thank you so much for reading and if you've liked it please leave a vote. ⭐️