19: gunpowder, gelatine

— Rafaela - moments earlier—

"Okay, okay. One more time, just to get things straight—you think your boyfriend asked Modraniht to bring him to OC and that, right now, they've both been captured by Count Cae. The barbarian."

"Yes."

"And the reason you think that is because your boyfriend is also a cosmic trace wielder, and you can't contact him through the hot-wired connection you made four years ago when your boyfriend had barely learned how to control one of the most dangerous power traces in this fucking world."

"Uh... yes."

"Therefore, the only reason why you're not reaching him is that he must be locked up somewhere under Count Cae's watchful eyes."

"Y-yes?"

"And now, after hiding this for me for the past four years—putting not only your boyfriend himself but also all the people around him in danger—you want my help to find him. Cause you don't... trust anyone else with the truth about your boyfriend's powers."

Rob's shoulders tensed. "When you put it like that...."

Rafaela took a deep breath and started chewing on her fingernails. Her voice was cold and low when she said, "Bloody fuck, Roberto."

"Nobody knows about his power trace, Sis. He's—"

"Exactly!" She let out a bitter laugh. "I didn't know. If I did, I could've helped him!"

"Sis..."

"You know what's like to have this power, Beto. You know how scary it is!"

"That's the thing, Sister. I don't know!" Rob scoffed, massaging his forehead. "I've seen you suffer because of the bloody thing—and I've seen Toni going mad over it—but I don't have the slightest idea of what it feels like to be in your place. But Léon, he...." Rob paused. "He's strong, Rafa. Mentally. Morally. Physically. He's—"

"He's not unbreakable, Beto. He's human. With emotions and flaws, and you can't ignore that and expect him to just deal with stuff on his own!"

"I know! I know. And..." Rob leaned on a close tree. His hands opened and closed, trying to find the words he just didn't seem capable to. His muscles tensed, and his expression twisted in a way Rafaela worried he might be in physical pain. "It. Hurts. You already learned to control your trace. You know how to use it. I just... I wished I could help Léon do the same cause I know he can. But... all I did when I was with him was to cause him pain, and now he's in danger, and I... What can I bloody do?"

He spent a moment in silence, and Rafaela gave him time. She knew he needed it.

While Rob mulled over his thoughts, she fished in her cleavage for the broken necklace Brash had given her so long ago. After they had unlocked her powers, Toni and Brash marveled at how the amethyst in it had cracked. Now, it was only a reminder that, unlike Léon, Rafaela's powers were tainted by Brash, just like Toni's had been.

Léon was lucky to have escaped when he did.

"This is why I'm trying to find him, all right?" Rob finally said in a low, soft voice.

Rafaela raised her eyes and blinked, wondering if her brother could read minds.

"Because..." Rob's fingers traced over the dead tattoos on his arms, their lines opaque and powerless. "You, Anhangá, and him, sis. You're all I have."

Rafaela clicked her tongue. She pulled Rob into a tight hug. "I can and will help him, all right?" She stepped back and slapped his arm. "But stop keeping secrets from the people who love you, Beto. I'm serious."