Chapter 14

An hour after I wake up, I feel like I need a nap. Last night, Matt  avoided me, which allowed Andrea to grab his attention. With a red-haired vixen grin, Andrea sat extra close to Matt the entire night, making me want to slap her across the face.

Coming into class late today, I sit by Audrey, avoiding Matt. Looking at me funny, Audrey asks, "Are you okay? Did you even hear what I said?"

"Sorry. I'm kind of out of it today. What did you say?"  Barely listening to her, I'm distracted by thoughts of what I'll say to Will at lunch. 

"Don't worry about it," she says quietly, her eyes looking between Matt and me.

I would like to think I can still be friends with Audrey, even if Matt and I aren't a think, but it's turning out to be impossible. My feelings for him make it too painful to be around him.

Audrey turns and scowls at Matt,  "What happened between you two?"

Glancing at him, I say, "Can we talk about this later?" She gives me a little nod and goes back to taking notes. Five minutes before class ends, I whisper, "I'll see you later. I've got an appointment.

"I'll call you later, so we can talk." Not wanting to upset her, I give her a nod, then take off.

Pulling into the parking lot of Provisions Lot F, I spot him getting out of a black Porsche. I wonder what he had to do to get that thing. The Des Moines airport wouldn't have that type of rental car.

Smirking, he teases, "Nice car."

Rolling my eyes, I reprimand him, "Not all of us have trust funds. My mom wouldn't let me bring my car."

Running his hand down the side of his hair, he reaches down, grabbing my arm to pull me along. "Let's get inside. It's freezing out here. I don't know how you stand these arctic temperatures."

Inside, the restaurant reminds me of one of my favorite places in Santa Barbara. The hostess escorts us to our table, while making eyes at Will the whole time. He doesn't even notice her.

Sitting across from him on a high stool, he looks irritated. Trying to distract him, I ask, "Did you meet any interesting people last night?"

Before he answers, the waitress interrupts, taking our order. Walking away, she gives Will a small smile. Apparently this one is attractive enough for him to notice because he winks at her.

Reaching for his phone,  he glances at a text message. Setting the phone on the table he says, "I've never seen so many overweight scruffy looking people in my life. The thick smoke nearly killed me off. I went back to my room early. I wish you would've taken me up on my offer."

Shooting him a glare, I snap, "There's no way I was coming to your room last night."

Scowling, he pauses. Then looks me straight in the eyes. "I had a conversation with a redhead you know."

Alarm bells go off in my head. What did Andrea tell him? I'm going to tell her off the next time I see her. Cautiously, I mumble, "What did she have to say? You know she hates me, right?"

"I sensed a bit of a distaste for you. She suggested something that I have a hard time believing could be true." Coming together in front of him, his hands clenched, he declares, "She said you're pregnant."

"Why would she say that?" Spinning, panic rips through me. Standing up, I run to the bathroom, throwing up the moment I get to the stall. Shaking uncontrollably, my whole body tingles.

Gasping for breath, I can't find control. Sitting on the toilet, I feel like I'm going to pass out. Resting my head in my hands, I say out loud, "What am I going to do?" Running through all the people that know, I can't think of who would've betrayed me.