Seventeen

SEVENTEEN

Apparently, good-looking guys tend to hang out together. I mean, out of all of Alex's friends who were at the pub that afternoon, there must have been one or two I didn't think were too good-looking, and that's because they were not really my type. But girls who are into guys with dark hair and a mysterious look would have been pleased.

I wasn't the only girl, but the others were there only to hang out with the guys. Well, more like flirt with them : it was absolutely hilarious to see this one girl, Margaux, wearing a dress so short and tight it left very little to imagination, trying to get Alex's attention, when he was trying to watch the game. He kind of yelled at her at one stage because she was in the way when the Stade Français scored a penalty, so Alex didn't see it.

"So, are you staying a long time in London ?" Henry asked me, making me blush for being caught staring at Alex.

"Well, I guess, I mean, I'm staying six months at Alex's, until I turn eighteen, and then I'm staying the rest of the year, and I'll maybe go back to France when I get a degree."

"What are you studying already ?"

"Architecture, you ?"

"I'm studying law."

"Cool." I nodded.

There was a bit of an awkward silence during which each of us took a sip of our drinks - a coke for me, a beer for Henry-, and then Henry tried to engage a new conversation.

"And so you're only seventeen ?"

"Yes." I smiled.

While we were talking, a girl came to sit down next to me. I took a look at her ; she was slightly smaller than I was, and she had very pretty green eyes. Her dark hair curled down her back. I'd seen her earlier next to Alex, laughing. They looked like good friends.

"Hey, Emma, right ?"

"Yes, hi." I answered.

She extended a hand. "I'm Johanna. That guy's best friend." She nodded in Alex's direction.

I shook her hand and smiled. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you." She replied, emphasizing the you. "Alex told me you were living at their place now, and since I basically live at the Dalton's place, I guess we'll be seeing a lot of each other. I really think a little feminine presence could do them good." She smiled.

She ordered a beer. We chatted for a while, and I realized that she was one of the kindest people I'd ever met. I was really happy to learn she was going to the same Uni than I was (one more face I'd recognise in the crowd of students), and it was cool to know she knew the Daltons fairly well, because I was starting to feel a little nervous at the prospect of being the only outsider of the family when the holidays would end.

We laughed a lot when Margaux got rejected a second and then a third time by Alex. I met some other friends of Alex who came towards the bar during half-time. They were all very kind, so I didn't feel excluded which was nice. When the game ended, we exchanged numbers, and everyone went home, except a few guys who decided to hang out a bit longer. As we walked home, I couldn't help but notice how happy Alex was, which was weird because his team had lost during this match, only scoring 6 points against 33 for the other team, without even a try.

"Why are you so happy ?" I asked.

"What ?" He answered.

"Why are you so happy ? I guess it's not because your team lost ?"

"Oh, no, they played really badly, and it's a shame. They're not starting the tournament on a good basis, but I'm sure they'll do better next time." He looked sure of himself.