A Hero?(Ch.5)

"Cafall!!" I yelled, caught off guard. The taint bit into his shoulder and clawed at him, viciously. He retaliated by growling and gnashing at its neck furiously. I, meticulously, grabbed an arrow out of my quiver. I placed the nock of the arrow against the bow string, pulled back at a precise angle and fired. The arrow I had picked was of the fire element. The flames on the shaft of the arrow grew and simultaneously flew with it until it struck the taint in the back. By this time Cafall was severely injured. The gash on his shoulder was very deep.  He fell to the ground, wounded.

     I tried to stay a far distance. But this thing was to fast, to big, to strong... I could only do so much. It had whiped out Cafall within seconds. I shot arrows in unison. Soaring through the air at incredible speeds. They only pierced the taint with such little damage. Fire, water, wind, earth... None of the elements worked. At that very second, something inside the taint drove it towards its hunger. It came at me, focusing all its energy on the attack. I remember an extra-ordinary amount of pain around my abdominal area. It had tackled me, with all it had. I fell back and, with blurry vision, I saw a large saber swing in the air. I heard slashes and growls. On my side, unconscious, I barely saw a person, wearing what seemed to be a warriors clothes and a scarf, walking confidently from the where I was with a large saber over their shoulder. This person... saved me. Afterwards, my eyes were completely closed.

     What woke me up was nudges at my side. I woke up, only to find Cafall attempting to lift me onto his back. I observed him. Something wasn't right... Cafall had a bandage on his shoulder and he was healed. I, myself, felt healed as well and I had a bandage around my lower torso. The person I saw wasn't part of a dream. It all happened. Someone came to help us. But... who?

     It would be dark soon after. So Cafall and I decided to head back to the clearing. I walked, not wanting to strain his shoulder. Taints are active all day, but at night their presence is unbearable and they are at their strongest.  We were almost at the clearing, I could already see Vince and Soren.

"Just look casual." I told Cafall.

His reply was a slight head nod. I have no idea if he understood me or not. The only thing that mattered was that he did it.

      From the scene I was observing, I was pretty sure they were either bragging about how many taints they had killed or bragging about who lasted longer. I stood behind a tree, they couldn't see me like that. I'd look like a fool, a whimp, a dunce. I couldn't have them under estimate me.

     I quietly undid my bandage, knowing that the gash was healed. But, when the bandage was unwrapped... there was a mark left directly below my belly button. It looked like the imprint of a sun. I let out a gasp, how was this possible? I then took off Cafall's bandage. His wound was gone, but there was no imprint left.

 I walked to them and tapped on Vince's shoulder. The looks on their faces were priceless.

"You made it?" Vince asked

"Without a single gash or bruise?" Soren had interjected

"Well... Not exactly." I replied, thinking how I could explain what I had been through

They were quick to ask what happened during my training session.

"You see... Cafall and I," I said patting Cafall's head "We encountered a high class taint. It was wolf-based. And, it took down Cafall in a few seconds... Then, it came after me. It was resistant to my arrows and it attacked me, I fell back, fainted and... and..." I studdered

"And what? We don't have all day." Soren exclaimed

"Someone helped me. I don't know who. But, he killed the taint and bandaged me and Cafall. He had a long saber as a weapon... If you don't believe me, I understand" I explained to them

"How could we believe you? You're acting foolish." Soren criticized

"I don't know, it sounds like... a fairy tail." Vince replied

"But, I have proof." I said

"And what might that be?" Soren questioned

"I have a mark, on my lower torso... on my stomach." I said, quietly

Vince quickly looked away

"I don't believe you," Soren stated

I lifted up my shirt just below my belly button. The mark was there. Their expressions were blank, at least to me. They looked puzzled. In one quick movement I pulled my shirt back down.

"Ok. But, who was the one who helped you?" Vince asked

"I'm trying to figure that out as well." Was my reply