Who knew moving from Chicago to L.A. Was gonna be hard? oh yeah. i did.

• Dedicated to Samantha Ann Muraski

Eminem blasting in my headphones wasn't enough to calm me down. Wind poured through the car window and my mom tried to convince me it would be alright. My question? How the hell is moving from Chicago to L.A. gonna be alright. Don't get me wrong! I love Cali, but i'm very well... shy and making new friends isn't my cup of tea.

"Eleanor" Mum said quietly, "things will be ok. I promise" what a load of crap. I wasn't cut out for this.

Last night I hung out with my best friends Mina and Lucy for the last time and said goodbyes. look at me now. Sitting in my mothers new volkswagon bug with the California air rushing through my deep red curls (Thats right. I'm a ginger. laugh it up.). Everything I ever cared about I had to leave! ridiculous! What kind of mother does that to her kid. I'm 15! i could've stayed in Chicago with my dad! But ever since the divorce my mom wont let me anywhere near him.

"were almost to our new home darling!" Mum said all enthusiastically.

"joy o' joy" i muttered.

"lighten up! It'll be great!" what the hell does she know. Not only did i have to leave Mina and Lucy. I had to leave James. The one guy i ever trusted. dammit mom.

She wanted to "get away". she thinks life in Chi-Town was stressing me out when really she was the stressed out one. She hated being to close to dad and i guess this was her only escape. whatever. I would put up with it for her but that didn't mean i had to like it. 

The rows of houses around us were beautiful. big, open, outdoor pools, green lawns. they seemed safe. Then suddenly mum yelled out "Here we are!" and we pulled into a nice little green house. at least we had a pool.

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^

I was laying in my new room. Orange and yellow walls, big comfy bed, swinging chair, laptop, walk in closet. This part I could get used to. 

The house was big. Fancy kitchen with gold rimmed everything. bathrooms with marble everything. living room with comfy everything. It was perfect. and that pissed me off. I don't care how perfect this place was. I wanted to go home. and yeah i know in most sappy stories this is where someone says "this is your new home" but thats a load of crap and my life is sure as hell not like that.

Mum and I went school supply shopping. Ick. ever since i was little i hated school supply shopping. It meant school was starting again soon and being the socially awkward dork i am... you get the picture. I got to pick out some new clothes and shoes (probably the only upside to this little situation).

I had one week. one god awful week till school starts. this should be an adventure.

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^

I finished unpacking my things and got out my new bathing suit. time to test out the pool. I've always been a great swimmer and its probably the only thing i was excited for. walking out of my bedroom i passed the mirror. great. self-consciousness bubbled in my throat. There were so many terrible things i could say about myself right now. I just looked away. This was a fresh start. I'm not gonna be that girl anymore.

I grabbed a towel from the bathroom and walked surely to the back yard pool. spreading my towel out on the lawn chair, I gazed around. This should be fun.

I took a few steps back and sprinted at the pool. I dove in and and the water tingled. ahh i missed this. It always calmed me down. revealed my stress sort of. I'm gonna be spending a lot of time in here, i thought. i pushed off the bottom of the pool and came up to the surface sucking in well deserved air.

Clapping. The first thing i heard when i reached the surface. i whipped around and standing on the other side of my fence leaning over was a guy. about my age i assumed. and cute. extremely cute. Was this my new neighbor? oh god.

"hey there," he said. "nice form but you should arch your back more." whoa. that ticked me off. who was this guy to tell me how to improve! i didn't even know his name yet and i didn't like him.

"who are you to tell me what I'm doing wrong," i said back while pulling myself out of the pool and grabbing the towel. He lept over the fence! just like that he climbed over. that was trespassing right? ugh were all people in California so intrusive?

"I'm Jamie and you are...?"

"Eleanor but call me Ellie," i replied taking a step back. I didn't like this. I told you i was bad with people. I thought about the comfort of my room and wished i could snuggle in my blankets and listen to music.

"Well its nice to meet you Ellie," he said kindly and hopped back over the fence (huh. This guy was definately confusing.).

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^

Author's note : alright. This is my first story so yeah. don't judge! well actually yeah judge. I'm curious. Lemme know if its worth reading! if it is i'll keep writing it and if not i'll just delete it! thanks! <3 Nikki