Chapter 9 - You're not Alone

Kanata's Perspective

It's finally Saturday and I got onto the train and started to head to Iwama and find y/n. Since the trip is two and a half hours, I ended up getting up early so that I could get there and still have plenty of time to find out where y/n lives before it gets dark. I mostly slept through the ride because I want to have as much energy as I can while looking for him.

Eventually, the train got to Iwama and I got off and asked a local for where the more residential areas were and after I got an answer, I headed over there and I asked people that were out if they knew where the l/n residence was. For the most part, nobody I asked knew but I kept asking around and asked an older woman. "Excuse me, do you know where the l/n residence is?"

The woman looked at me and said "You're looking for the l/n residence?" She then gave me the address but after, said something along the lines of "It's such a tragedy what happened to them" Which only added to my concerns.

Eventually, I got to the address and I rang the doorbell. The only response I received was silence so I tried to ring again and also shouted "Y/n! Are you there?"

A minute later I heard the clicking sounds of the door being unlocked and opened to see y/n had dark bags under his eyes, his hair was disheveled, and his gaze wasn't looking upward as much as it was staring at the ground. When he saw me he looked up and said "Kanata? What are you doing here?"

"I answered him with "You hadn't been responding to anything and was getting worried so I asked Ichiro where you were from and decided to see you."

Y/n smiled a bit and said "Well then, come on in. Sorry that it's a mess."

-----------------------------

Y/n's Perspective

I hadn't been expecting anybody, let alone Kanata, showing up so I hadn't cleaned in a week but I guided Kanata to the living room.

Once we got to the living room, I sat down on the couch and motioned for her to join me. She sat besides be and with concern in her voice, said "Are you okay? You seem so down."

I tried to smile and say that I was fine and that I was just a bit under the weather, but I just couldn't lie to her. "I'm so sorry that I've concerned you. Some crap happened and so now I'm busy for the most part and when I'm not busy I just really can't find the motivation to do much."

Her expression became more concerned and she said "Why? What happened?"

As much as I don't want to involve her in this, I couldn't hold it back any longer. "It's my mother, she was so sick and I was here for a bit but she died. I've got no family left. I'll be alone from here on. I can't even cook without thinking about her." I said as tears began to trail down my face.

The next minute, Kanata has pulled me into her embrace. Her voice began to crack as she then said to me. "I'm so sorry that I couldn't be there for you. I wish I could've been here sooner. You're not alone... I'll always be with you."

And those words were the ones that broke the dam completely as I began to cry harder than I've had since mom died. When she first passed, all I felt was empty and hollow and after that no matter how sad I've been about it I couldn't cry. But now, I can finally cry all the tears that I couldn't shed. As I held Kanata as she held me, I cried for a while.

Once I had calmed down I explained to Kanata that since her death I've been busy setting up her funeral and that I'd still be out of school for about another week but as soon as I was done, I'd return to Nijigasaki. We talked for a while and before I knew it, it was evening.

"How about I cook us dinner?" Kanata offered.

"I haven't really been shopping for a while so if you want we can stop by the store real quick to buy ingredients. Just give me a moment to change out of my clothes for laying around."

"Okay, that sounds good. While you're doing that, I'll check to see what I'll need."

-------------------------------

After I changed, we went to a decently close market. She wouldn't tell me what she was buying ingredients for and when she grabbed everything, I paid for everything and carried it home.

"You just relax in the living room. I'll start making it." Kanata said while pushing me to the living room.

I listened to what she said and I headed into the living room and sat down. While I sat down, I thought about how grateful I am for Kanata coming to see me and how I need to be stronger so that I can return to her sooner. The first step to that is gonna be getting past this thing where I've been unable to motivate myself to cook because I start to think about Mom and how she'll never be able to see how much I've improved ever again. To do that, I think tomorrow night I'll try to return to my roots and make the first thing I learned to make on my own. But that's something for tomorrow, tonight I just want to spend with my magnificent girlfriend.

Eventually, Kanata brought me into the dining room and I saw at the table were two plates with tonkatsu along with tonkatsu sauce and rice. Like always, Kanata's cooking is great. The tonkatsu is crispy and crunchy, it's the best dinner I've had in a while.

After we were done eating, I pulled a movie a friend bought for me but I never touched and we watched it together while snuggling on the couch. It was a movie about some guy fighting his girlfriend's exes. The main character is somehow a jerk and yet really funny and likeable. As we got to the end of the movie, me and Kanata were both getting extremely tired and we decided that we would end it there.

"You can sleep in my mom's room. It's not like anybody uses it anymore." I said.

She then blushed and said "Actually, I was wondering if I could sleep with you."

I started to blush as well and said "Oh, um sure. If you want to."

I told her where the bathroom was so that she could change into her pajamas while I changed into mine. I quickly changed into my pajamas and sat on the side of the bed. When Kanata came into the room, I was admittedly a little embarrassed since I've never slept in the same bed as someone before let alone a girl. Kanata got into the bed and I joined her before pulling up the covers.

Before I knew it, Kanata was already asleep and while I've been having a ton of trouble falling asleep recently, Kanata's presence helped me stop worrying and just enjoy that moment and I fell asleep too.

----------------------------------

The next morning I woke up to hear someone in the kitchen. For a moment I had forgotten about yesterday and didn't know who it was but I quickly realized. I came in and saw Kanata in the kitchen and when she noticed me, she gave me the gentle smile I love so much.

We had omelettes and spent time enjoying each other's company but before I knew it, it was late in the afternoon and Kanata should head to the train station soon so that she can get home to Haruka by dinner. I walked her to the station and I kissed her goodbye before she boarded the train home.

As I began to leave the station, I thought to myself and muttered "Now what do I need for dinner?"

------------------------------------

A/n:  Here's the longest chapter so far and the end of the drama.