Chapter 13

Feeling guilty for my behavior at church, I wrestle with whether to call Matt, making it hard to concentrate. Resting my head on my hand, the tidal wave trying to break through to the surface wins. I know I behaved badly. 

Buzzing again, its Will.   Slamming my phone into my bag, I mutter, "Leave me alone." I need help, but I hate when people tell me what to do. It feels like they're trying to control me.

Buzzing once more, I groan, grabbing my phone out of my bag. Preparing to let Will have it, I see it's Aunt Beth's number. Wishing everyone would stop calling, I see Aunt Beth's text...CALL ME PLEASE.

Hitting her name, she says hello on the first ring. She doesn't sound like herself.

"Everything okay?" I ask, preparing for the worst.

I hear her take in a breath and let it out. "Will's here."

Almost like the words scramble my brain, I think she just told me Will's here. "Can you repeat that? I don't think I heard you correctly."

Aunt Beth exaggerates her words. "Will. Is. In. Iowa"

"What? Why?" My voice is high and panicked, drawing stares from other tables. Speaking quieter this time. "How do you know he's here?"

"He stopped here looking for you. I told him you were at the Memorial Union studying." 

Thrashing around looking for him. "Is he coming here?" I whine, "I don't want to see him. Did he say why he's here?"

"He said he needs to talk to you. To see you." Her voice sounds grave, like she's keeping something from me.

Continuing to scan the basement, by my calculations I have half-an-hour to devise a plan. "Thank you for letting me know." Trying to keep her from worrying, I add. "I'm sure it'll be fine. He probably just misses me."

"Let me know if you need anything." There's a pause, right before I hang up, she says, "Please call me and let me know before you head home."

Reassuring her, my mind is all over the place as soon as I hit end.

Thinking about last October, I recall Allie's 18th birthday. Her mom bought three kegs and tons of hard liquor. The night felt like a mini reunion.

Home from college, I'm enjoying talking to friends I haven't seen for months. Feeling warm and fuzzy from all the drinks, I find myself flirting with Will even though he hasn't called.

Around midnight, Will suggests, "I'll give you a ride home. You know your brother will kill me, if I let you drive home"

Allie strolls behind him and gives me the "he looks hot tonight" look. It's true. Everything about him is poised and put together. His wardrobe is better than mine. 

Smiling, I agree, "I just need to grab something." 

Finding Katie, I let her know I'm leaving with Will, "Don't tell my brother. He gets all weird when he knows I'm with Will."

"Like I even talk to Max. You know you're going to regret this tomorrow." Katie tries her hardest to convince me. "Stay. We can go to my house later and watch a movie." 

Giving her a big hug, I say, "Thanks for looking out for me, but I'm going." Laughing, when she pouts, I shove her. "Come on. You know I've loved him since I was 12."

"Call me tomorrow."

In the car, he turns on my favorite song. "It's still early. Do you want to stop by my place to have a drink before I take you home?" Giving me his killer smile, "We can sit on the deck and watch the waves roll in."