1

Mai, the eldest member, and head of the Kale family was sitting on her bed looking tired, almost ill. She was surrounded by her family members, who were looking at her with concern.

"Mai, what happened to you?" Vallabh asked in a worried tone.

Mai just sighed tiredly, not being able to respond to the question.

"Mai..." Devaki said.

"Oh my. Oh lord!" she exclaimed tiredly, "Shripad, Vallabh," she called the attention of her sons, "Digambar...has he gone out?"

"Yes, should I call him, mai?" Supriya asked, getting ready to go out of the room and call her husband.

Mai just shook her head in negative.

"Mai, what is happening to you?" Vallabh asked again.

"Nothing, my son...my call has come."

The ladies gasped at that.

"Mai, what are you saying?" Devaki exclaimed, "Nothing is going to happen to you. Nothing at all. You are fine."

"His call has come. Let me go in peace. Nothing will happen to me, no pain, nothing. Just have to travel from here to there," she said, pointing upwards.

For a moment, everyone's gaze followed her finger, but then as they realized the meaning...

"Mai!" everybody exclaimed in panic.

"I'll call the doctor," Vallabh said but was stopped by mai's voice.

"No, don't go anywhere. No need of that doctor."

"But mai..." Vallabh was again stopped by his mother, "I have lived my life fully, now nothing is remaining. What is left in this world for me now?"

Suddenly she looked up and said, "Please wait for a moment."

Everyone else, too, looked upwards to where her finger was pointing.

"I'm coming, I'm coming. Let me...let me look at everyone for the last time."

"Mai, who are you talking to?" Vallabh asked, with a confused expression.

"He has sent the message."

"Who has?"

"Yamraj, the God of death." A look of horror and panic washed across everyone's face.

"Mai, nothing will happen to you!" Vallari cried.

"He is saying to complete my work quickly. I can see him coming in his black clothes. But my...my Shyamrao hasn't come yet."

"He will come, he will come," Vallari replied.

"Shyamrao, come soon," mai cried.

Everybody started panicking more at that. But suddenly, a man entered the room, sending a feeling of relief in everybody.

"Ghana came, mai, Ghana came."

"My Shyamrao, my shyamrao, has come. Sit, sit near me," mai said, holding Ghanshyam's hand.

"What happened? What happened to grandma?" he asked, looking towards everyone.

Mai sighed, looking upwards, and said, "Now you are free to take me. Take me."

"What?" Ghanshyam asked, in both fear and confusion.

"Look, you still have to live a long life," Vallari said, "Don't you want to see the marriage of your grandchildren?"

Ghanshyam looked even more confused as his aunt was looking at him while saying that.

"What is the value of my wish? First, he should be willing," mai replied. She was still looking somewhere far away.