27 | Walk Away

TW! blood/fight. (it's not too bad, but just a heads up!)

∞ ϟ

Y/N

_

"OW, HERMIONE," I laughed, the sound of my voice muffled by the blaring music, "that's the third time you've stepped on my foot!"

Harry and Ron had given up on the dance, slumped into chairs somewhere off in the Hall, but I took the opportunity to take Hermione for a dance. We were only going together as friends, but I wasn't going to let her miss out on having a good time.

Even if she did step on my feet from time to time.

"Sorry!" She giggled, twirling under my arm, "I'm a tad bit out of practice."

"I think you're doing fine."

"Even with my heel jabbing into your foot?"

"Even with that," I nodded, leading her into a waltz, "it's not often we get to dress up nice and go for a dance, and I'm very glad you agreed to it."

"I'm glad you asked me."

Hermione giggled, her hand clasped in mine and her dress twirling around her as she spun around. I don't think I've ever had so much fun. The music was loud, the Great Hall was beautiful, and I finally was able to put my worries aside for one  simple, perfect night.

As we circled the dance floor, I led her away from a spinning couple of Beuxbatons and Durmstrangs, making sure she didn't get hit by a misplaced hand, or a twirling cape.

We danced for a bit longer, before I felt her lower her voice discreetly.

"Oh, who would have guessed?" She grinned, her gaze glancing off to the side, "Malfoy can't seem to take his eyes off you."

I blushed, suddenly losing my focus and narrowly stumbling over my feet, "really?"

Hermione nodded excitedly, "I think you should go talk to him."

"Well, everyone is here, Mione'," I noted, "talking to him is a risk."

The girl rolled her eyes, yanking on my arm and pushing our waltz towards the edge of the dance space. She had this devious glint in her eyes, and I furrowed a brow in amusement. She was planning something, wasn't she?

"Why don't you get me some punch?" She suggested, batting her eyelashes innocently, "I'm quite thirsty, so make sure you take an incredibly long time filling the glass."

I was about to question what she meant, but then I turned my head to see where she was looking. Draco was standing by the punch table. And just like she said, he was watching me with a proud look on his face.

"What would I do without you?" I smiled, giving the girl a quick kiss on the cheek, "thank you, Mione'."

Slipping out from the dance floor, I pushed my way through the crowd of standing students, avoiding accidentally stepping on a dress, and finally I reached the punch table. Rows of bowls were donned upon the table, all of them displaying a variety of different colors, so I snatched up a glass and began to fill it up.

It wasn't long before I felt someone's presence appear by my side.

"Love," Draco said quietly, the sleeve of his suit coat brushing against my arm, "I suppose asking you for a dance is off the table."

I could barely control the smile on my face, turning my head ever so slightly to see him. We couldn't look each other in the eye, or someone might see and get suspicious, so we had to pretend to be busy with the snacks.