Chapter 8. A Shadow, a Different Spider, and a Freaky Nightmare

November 3, 2016. 8:30 AM.

"You will train until the time comes to take your place in the world." A voice says.

"I have no place in the world." I respond, remembering my training.

"Exactly."

"Hey, it's the shadow! Where're you going Shadow?" A different voice asks. One of the bullies.

"My room." I mumble.

"What was that? Speak up Shadow!" They grab my journal from me and make me watch as they rip it to pieces.

"No..." All my work on drawing, all of the things I could do to get out of this place, everything that I wrote to make life easier, gone.

They start kicking me as I fall to the ground looking at my destroyed book.

"You will never be ready to take your place in the world."

Why do I have to be ready? They always say that I have no place in the world.

The voice smacks my face. "You will never be ready."

"I have no place in the world." I whimper hoping that this is all over soon.

'I'm so sorry, Shadow. I'm not going to be back for another four months. It's a long mission and I'm so sorry. I got a letter the other day saying that I can't send or receive letters anymore. I promise, I'll write you when I can. -L'

"Four months. Yeah right." I mutter to myself as I look at Lillia sitting across the room.

Now I'm on a battle field. One of my missions.

I had to go right through an active war zone.

BOOM! A bomb goes off only 5 feet away from me.

I jump out of the way, only to realize that I'm now out in the open.

BOOM! Another bomb. Shots are fired.

I realize that this is my last mission with Lillia before she leaves me.

BOOM! I'm snapped out of my thoughts by an explosion.

Right next to me. I fly a few feet away from where I was standing and hear Lillia say one thing.

'Leave her.'

"You're worthless." Tony declares. What? No! No! He wouldn't say that, right?

"A burden." Peter adds. Peter, wha- why? What did I do?

"We never wanted you to be an Avenger in the first place!" Natasha shouts. No, not Natasha, not her, please.

The trio take turns beating me up until I'm bruised and bloody. They take one last look at me before walking away and out of my life.

What did I do to deserve this?

"Alina! Wake up! Alina!" I hear Friday say worriedly.

"I'm awake. Hey Friday." I say sitting up on my bed.

"You had a bad nightmare. Should I call Peter, Boss, or Agent Romanoff?"

"I can tell. And no, don't call anyone. It was just a nightmare."

"I'm calling Agent Romanoff. You had the equivalent to a panic attack in your sleep."

"That bad, huh?"